"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #51
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
Heck, a dishwasher is a gadget - it only washes dishes. Most ppl don't cook fish in it.
So a fridge is a gadget too. It only keeps food cold.

did you buy them in the gadget, or appliance section?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Heck, a dishwasher is a gadget - it only washes dishes. Most ppl don't cook fish in it.
So a fridge is a gadget too. It only keeps food cold.
No, it doesn't only wash dishes, along with washing dishes, it can sanitize them, it can wash hats as well as steam fish so it's not a one trick pony. And a fridge doesn't just keep food cold, it preserves food so it won't hurt you. It cools items that don't have to be refrigerated: water, beer, butter to name a couple. It extends the life of foods you can consume immediately.

And, as TATTRAT said, you don't buy a fridge or dishwasher in the gadget section.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Do you know how to make garlic paste with the side of a knife using salt as an abrasive?

No..... but I'm willing to learn
Old 08-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #54
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
No, it doesn't only wash dishes, along with washing dishes, it can sanitize them, it can wash hats as well as steam fish so it's not a one trick pony. And a fridge doesn't just keep food cold, it preserves food so it won't hurt you. It cools items that don't have to be refrigerated: water, beer, butter to name a couple. It extends the life of foods you can consume immediately.

And, as TATTRAT said, you don't buy a fridge or dishwasher in the gadget section.
I think MW has a valid point here. Yes a dishwasher can was hats as well as dishes and yes it can sanitize your dishes, but that really all it is doing is washing things. Sure you CAN cook fish in it, but you can also use it as a giant paperweight if you want or a doorstop or modern art if you put it in your living room. It really is just a dishwasher though.

As for the fridge, it makes things cold. It does not matter the reason you are making the things cold. All it does is make things cold.

I don't think the argument that it was not bought in the gadget section works either. Who is to say that the guy at the store who decided what is a gadget and what is not is an authority?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
No..... but I'm willing to learn
Crush a few cloves with the side of a knife and peel. Rock your knife through the garlic to give it a fine chop/mince. Sprinkle on about a teaspoon of kosher salt per 2-3 cloves of garlic and work your knife over it like a putty knife. The photo shows one method holding the knife with both hands like you would a cabinet scraper. I just hold the knife by the handle and use more the tip of the blade instead of the side. A wood cutting board works best. It takes a little practice but you'll have garlic paste in no time.

Be careful cooking the paste because it can burn faster than chopped garlic.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The zester was the only tool available for kitchen use that was effective in removing zest from citrus. It's not reasonable to bring woodworking tools into the picture. Most people with kitchens didn't have wood rasps.

Zester is a tool and the box grater is a tool, does that make the microplane a gadget? After all, it does the same things as pre-existing tools!
The wood tool reference was a joke. lol

I was referring to the style of the blade on the zester. The Microplane version cuts rather than grinds. So I don't think (haven't really tried) to use the Microplane version on nutmeg. A grinding/grating style zester is more versatile in the kithen than other styles.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #57
Sous Chef

I have a dishwasher that came with my apt and i love it, but i never had one in the past and i'm in my 40's. maybe the choice can be if you can live w/out it or not?

IMO - you can't live w/out a fridge.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #58
Executive Chef

You may be able to live without a dishwasher, but I never could. I did for two years and it was the worst two years of my life. Now with the droughts we're having, a dishwasher is worth even more than it was before.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Crush a few cloves with the side of a knife and peel. Rock your knife through the garlic to give it a fine chop/mince. Sprinkle on about a teaspoon of kosher salt per 2-3 cloves of garlic and work your knife over it like a putty knife. The photo shows one method holding the knife with both hands like you would a cabinet scraper. I just hold the knife by the handle and use more the tip of the blade instead of the side. A wood cutting board works best. It takes a little practice but you'll have garlic paste in no time.

Be careful cooking the paste because it can burn faster than chopped garlic.
Thanks.
I was thinking of spreading it on bread and toasting
Old 08-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
I have a dishwasher that came with my apt and i love it, but i never had one in the past and i'm in my 40's. maybe the choice can be if you can live w/out it or not?
I personally find it so much easier to do the dishes manually. I've used dishwashers before but I prefer doing them by hand.
In fact we have never used our dishwasher in our home since purchasing the house almost 20 years ago. My wife uses it for storage. And I'm pretty certain the dishwasher is inoperable from lack of use.