Gadget v. appliance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe this is a better example. What about a kitchen strainer. That has one function and requires no skill. Is it a gadget?

If a good chef's knife is a tool....
What is Ron Popeil's Six Star Showtime Knife that cuts through frozen bricks, slices peach pits, spackles drywall and will still cut your fingers if you're not careful?
A bad knife with good gadget marketting?

What is Ron Popeil's Six Star Showtime Knife that cuts through frozen bricks, slices peach pits, spackles drywall and will still cut your fingers if you're not careful?

LOL...a tool from a Tool. :cool:

I'm beginning to think certain things, this being an example, are gadgets to some, but tools to another.

Maybe gadget verses tool verses appliance is based on individual use.

My opinion, I think, is that they do not have to be mutually exclusive. A gadget can be a tool.

I'm beginning to think certain things, this being an example, are gadgets to some, but tools to another.

That I would consider a tool. The plastic one that comes free with twenty other items on the infomercial and doesn't work as well as the one one TV I would consider a gadget.

My opinion, I think, is that they do not have to be mutually exclusive. A gadget can be a tool.

If a new guy works in a kitchen and all he does is mince garlic for the chefs, then a garlic press is definately a tool.

Here's another: An oyster knife. Most definately a gadget for the home cook, but not a seafood restaurant.

The mandolin is a good one. I use it for two dishes, potato gratin and my eggplant parm. If I'm not cooking one of those two dishes, it's in the cabinet.

So in my house that's a gadget since I could, with great difficulty, slice paper thin sheets of eggplant. (maybe my bandsaw would work too):innocent:

Hey, I consider R.P. Showtime knife to be a very useful tool. Every time I try to cut my bricks with a regular knife I wind up ruining the blade. This one cuts my bricks (and peach pits I might add) perfectly. Who wants whole peach pits for goodness sake. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A stove has only one function, to provide a heat source. Does that make it a gadget? After all, it's just a new-fnagled replacement for the perfectly good fire in the fireplace.

Hey, I consider R.P. Showtime knife to be a very useful tool. Every time I try to cut my bricks with a regular knife I wind up ruining the blade. This one cuts my bricks (and peach pits I might add) perfectly. Who wants whole peach pits for goodness sake. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ya know....
I bought this set of knives a couple years ago and the actual one I was "buying", the Showtime knife, is the one knife I never use. Doesn't work worth a hoot, but some of the others are great (so far).
That puts that knife in the gadget category as far as I'm concerned.
And me in the impulse buyer category :huh:

A stove has only one function, to provide a heat source. Does that make it a gadget? After all, it's just a new-fnagled replacement for the perfectly good fire in the fireplace.

New rule: If it weighs more than 10 lbs, it aint a gadget.

Hey, I said it's not a gadget for some people. To me it is because it does not take the place of other items I already had nor does it make life easier for me.

17.5 lbs though.... that thing has some size to it. I must have missed the infomercial on that model :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom