Gadget v. appliance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A dishwasher was on my "need to get" list when I bought my new place in '01. I might pick up a spare in case this one goes kaput on a weekend.
;)

A dishwasher was on my "need to get" list when I bought my new place in '01. I might pick up a spare in case this one goes kaput on a weekend.
;)
I won't even put in an application for a home or apartment if it doesn't have a dishwasher. I work 11 hours a day, including commute, I have a teenager who dirties the dishes but thinks a magic fairy comes and cleans them, and the last thing I need to do is stand for 4 hours on a Saturday washing a week's worth of dishes. No way. No dishwasher, not living there.

my parents built our house when i was 4 yrs old and the developer insisted he put in a dishwasher..which was used only a few times. no idea why, i love ours, once we got one !!!! i'm sure 40 yrs later it's no good....

OK, how about this twist then?
It's a gadget when it first comes out, but by the time most everyone has one, it's a needed item.
I'm sure there was time where TVs, phones, radios, and dishwashers.... all that stuff was considered gadgets.

I have an easy solution.

Everybody just ask me if something is a gadget or a tool and I'll tell you.

Simple and avoids all the controversy,

Ok here is my take

A gadget is something you bought or were given to attempt to make something, help or what ever that just sits there and you never use.

Tool: something that aides in prep, cooking or plating, usualyl a multitasker and is used more often then not.

A tool to one person is a gadget to another and vice versa.

A banana slicer to me is a gadget but someone who makes sundaes all day long is a tool.

someone had mentioned a manoline. it brings up a good point. this is where the grey area is. becuase there are some tool that people dont need but use once in a while but are able to store and keep handy for when needed. a gadget will usualyl get lost, thrown away with out any disreguard or packed away in a corner somewhere never to be seen agian or missed.

What about everyone lsiting what there gadgets are and tools are?

I used to work in an ice cream place, making sundaes and splits all day long, and have never heard of a "banana slicer". We always just used cheap, dull paring knives.

I used to work in an ice cream place, making sundaes and splits all day long, and have never heard of a "banana slicer". We always just used cheap, dull paring knives.

I used to OWN an ice cream parlor. We made banana splits maybe 10 - 12 times a day. We used a knife to split an banana in half. Miles Kimball (www.mileskimball.com) the gadget catalog people feature this item in their catalogs. I can't think of a more useless thing than a banana slicer . It's a joke to me. By the way, if you're into gadgets take a look at this site. It's loaded with them.

How could anyone live without this!? It's an essential tool, of course.

Just one question. Can you eat the cone?

Here's my question: What if the rotation on the cone was the same direction and speed as the soft serve machine? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom