"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #21
Unlike some, I have never used a garlic press without first taking off the skins. It only takes a few seconds and less cleanup. I prefer using my knife.

sketch182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #22
Senior Cook
I don't use garlic presses but have heard a couple of good justifications from those who do. My wife prefers them because she doesn't have to worry about the garlic smell on her fingers. My daughter uses one for uncooked garlic when she wants the flavor and juice but doesn't want chuncks of raw garlic in the food, for example in hummus or salad dressings.

Personally, I don't care about the garlic smell on my hands. It helps keep the vampires away. As for chunks of raw garlic in salad dressings, etc., I solve that problem by mashing the garlic with salt. I have a wooden mortar and pestle reserved just for garlic since I use a lot of it.

"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:40 AM   #23
Master Chef
I've had garlic presses in the past, but found it was just one more thing to clean when for my purposes the knife I'm probably already using works fine. I, too, do not mind the smell of garlic on my fingers (yes, I happen to be married to a fellow garlic lover, no vampires here). That said, have you seen those little soap-sized metal gadgets that claim to take the garlic smell off your hands?

Take your largest stainless steel serving spoon. After washing your hands, take it in your hands and rub it over your fingers under running water. It works.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by fireweaver View Post
once upon a time, i was at mom's house cooking dinner for her, and needed to smash up some garlic. she handed me her garlic press (i'd never used one), and even after peeling the papery bits off the cloves, a good half of the pulp was left in there after squeezing. promptly went back to smashing with a knife from the 2nd clove on.

and now for the eyerolls from all: at my house, i'm far too lazy for any of that mess, so i buy industrial-size jars of diced garlic preserved in water.
me too, although not a very large size. only me, takes a long time to use up. same with ginger. i don't call it lazy , i call it saving time and temper
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I like this method - though I'm not as fast with my knife (yet!).

For large amounts of garlic I use a mortar & pestle
Russellkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #26
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
yeah, i dont like garlic presses....ive also noticed that they leave a "skin" in the press that clogs it and is very difficult to clean

i prefer my knives
Try not peeling the clove. Very fast, and usually the skin comes out in one piece, at least in a Zyliss.
Walt Bulander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #27
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I have to agree with Scotch on this - the Zyliss is the only one I haven't thrown out, and actually works fairly well. But, I've used the side of my knife and used the smash and mince method for so many years I keep forgetting about the Zyliss.

I'm with Scotch and Michael ... if you're doing bulk garlic, the Zyliss press is the way to go. It's faster and dices nicely, not to mention it "juices" them as well (better than a knife blade) For one or two cloves, no ... the side o' me blade will do nicely
"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #28
Assistant Cook
I fall into the knife camp most of the time, however, if I do use a press, I use a Rosle. It is expensive, but it does a good job.

Believe it or not, the little Chef'n Rolling garlic chopper actually works! Granted, people give you odd looks when you're rolling it across your board like a Hot Wheel, but hey, it's just another way to have fun while getting your garlic goodness
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #29
Sous Chef
I love my garlic press. I have the Pampered Chef one which also comes with a tool to remove the skin. And honestly, I am just not coordinated with knives. I have cut myself more times than I can count. My garlic press has saved me loads of time and frustration.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #30
Assistant Cook
alton brown uses a sample piece of marble counter top, looks very efficient.

alexk is offline   Reply With Quote