Garlic press..comments/feedback?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmeheran

Senior Cook
This is related to one that was posted in 09. If you are a cheap skate like me, and you have a large hispanic population in your town, then go to the more hispanically[?] oriented store and look for a lemon/lime press. It will be made of some heavy pot metal, very crudely made. Basically its like two spoons hinged together, with holes in the bowl. Put the lime half, or garlic in one, close and squeeze. Tada! I trust you have the intelligence to figure it out.

I have one of these and they're not even that great at getting all the juice out of the fruit, I don't see how they could do much justice to garlic.

When I think garlic press I think Zyliss (brand name), $12-$15 at Amazon or Target. The older ones have an aluminum insert, the newer ones plastic. I have both, bought the second one because the first one works so good and I was afraid it might break and might not be able to get another. Happy to see they are as plentiful as ever.

I hate to sound judgmental but IMO money spent on cooking tools is money well spent. If nothing else the correct tool will save you labor and if you constantly cook it will save you labor time after time after time (and usually give better results too). The money I spent on my knife block set (about $200, Henckels) was the best money I ever spent on cooking gear.

I have a lime press too. Note to place the sliced face of the lime toward the holes, perhaps not intuitive (to me at first) but how it's intended to be used. I don't see how a lime press could perform adequately on garlic compared to a garlic press, because the holes in a garlic press are finer.

Actually mostly I'd rather mince my garlic using a knife. I don't know why but minced garlic always seems to cook better than pressed garlic.

I have a couple garlic presses but they are mostly left unused in the tools drawer in the kitchen since I bought my microplane grater. I use it almost exclusively to prepare garlic for recipes. Depending on how I want my garlic, I can choose either the fine side or the larger side of the grater. Poor garlic presses are feeling unloved.

I have a couple garlic presses but they are mostly left unused in the tools drawer in the kitchen since I bought my microplane grater. I use it almost exclusively to prepare garlic for recipes. Depending on how I want my garlic, I can choose either the fine side or the larger side of the grater. Poor garlic presses are feeling unloved.

Me too Katie. In fact I threw out 4 kinds of garlic presses taking up room in my drawer.

Kayelle said:
Me too Katie. In fact I threw out 4 kinds of garlic presses taking up room in my drawer.

Ya know, I need to get rid of my collection too. Haven't used them in years.

And more room and more drawer space!
Hey Dawgluver! I just spoke with the person doing my kitchen remodling and we discussed the 30 feet of counters, drawers and cupboards that will surround it. I think I'll finally have a spot for everything and counter space to do everything!

Timothy said:
Hey Dawgluver! I just spoke with the person doing my kitchen remodling and we discussed the 30 feet of counters, drawers and cupboards that will surround it. I think I'll finally have a spot for everything and counter space to do everything!

Yay! That will be so nice, Timothy!

You guys and your garlic presses. I don't know what kind you all use, but I absolutely love my Zyliss garlic press. I probably use it 3 or 4 times a week and find it to be a real timesaver.

This is related to one that was posted in 09. If you are a cheap skate like me, and you have a large hispanic population in your town, then go to the more hispanically[?] oriented store and look for a lemon/lime press. It will be made of some heavy pot metal, very crudely made. Basically its like two spoons hinged together, with holes in the bowl. Put the lime half, or garlic in one, close and squeeze. Tada! I trust you have the intelligence to figure it out.

In addition, when I am in a hurry, I often take my ancient cleaver and using it flat side down, smack it onto the garlic clove. Then I take the edge and proceed chop the mashed garlic to the texture I want. Although I picked that up when watching Yan Can Cook, I still cannot match his speed and skill.

I developed a technique where I hold the tip of a chef knife between left thumb and forefinger, and the base of the blade right above the handle between right thumb and forefinger, then see-saw it as I move the blade towards and away going over the garlic I'm mincing. (The blade is not always in contact with the chopping board, it sometimes sort of hops in the air.) The rhythm is staccato. I was surprised because I just picked this up one day not even intending to do it, perhaps it was intuitive, and I've just continued to use this is one method for fine mincing. It works well on garlic and you can mince your garlic to any degree of fineness. It even works well on large amounts of garlic.

Note that the curved sharp edge and wide blade are important to this technique. Thus the chef knife.

I cheat and use my food processor. I add a bit of broth in it and process the garlic for just a few seconds. Fast, easy and it minces very well.

I have one of these and they're not even that great at getting all the juice out of the fruit, I don't see how they could do much justice to garlic.

Really? My lemon/lime squeezer is outstanding. I'm not a small man, but squeezing limes was always a chore until I got this thing. Pop a half lime in it and the rind and pulp come out almost dry. Lemons are a bit softer to squeeze by hand, but with this I get at least 25% more juice from each half fruit.

Never tried it for a garlic press though. :rolleyes:

Really? My lemon/lime squeezer is outstanding. I'm not a small man, but squeezing limes was always a chore until I got this thing. Pop a half lime in it and the rind and pulp come out almost dry. Lemons are a bit softer to squeeze by hand, but with this I get at least 25% more juice from each half fruit.

Never tried it for a garlic press though. :rolleyes:

Which citrus squeezer do you own, RPCookin? Link? Pic?

I cheat and use my food processor. I add a bit of broth in it and process the garlic for just a few seconds. Fast, easy and it minces very well.

I cheat even more than that. I buy garlic already minced, in a jar. I also buy chopped onions in a 3 pound plastic bag, which I break down to half cup servings, place in sandwich bags, load them into a Zip Lock freezer bag and place in the freezer. They're local produce from local pacakgers, so I know they're fresh.

Back
Top Bottom