Garlic twist crusher, mincer, peeler tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
Here is my favorite GARLIC TWIST CRUSHER, MINCER, PEELER TOOL

Since I bought this I never use any other garlic press.

http://nextrendproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/450x300-GT3-Clear-2-LOW-2tq12wlx0cbv0kc2mall3e.png

The only 'down side' is you may have to use a fork/knife to scrape out the garlic. You can mince garlic, smoosh it into a paste or just leave big chunks.

Amazon carries what some reviewers say is a cheap knock-off. So beware if that's true. I bought mine at a up-scale kitchen supply store.

Now that's just lazy. Not the cook, the Chinese who did the knock-off. Clearly, from the Amazon reviews by people who eventually realized they had bought the fake and weren't mistakenly reviewing the wrong item, they just saw one and thought anything with teeth would work. But clearly, there's a difference. And I don't begrudge someone who obviously did a lot of development work a somewhat high price for two pieces of plastic.

Question: It says it peels. How has than worked out?

Question: It says it peels. How has than worked out?

I haven't tried peeling the cloves because I buy already peeled cloves in a tub at the Asian Market.

I'll give it a try sometime when I have bought a head of garlic.

But I remember a soft, flexible tube that I loved (back when) and was meant for peeling. It worked great!

It's called a garlic skinner. Amazon has some for sale, but $6 is ridiculous for a little tube of rubber.

I'm out of garlic now, but I'm going to try rolling my "round tuit" (cost $1 for 2) that I usually use to open jars. It's about the right size, and I'll bet I can roll it into a tube that would work just fine.

I'll let you know if it works.

http://nextrendproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/450x300-GT3-Clear-2-LOW-2tq12wlx0cbv0kc2mall3e.png

The only 'down side' is you may have to use a fork/knife to scrape out the garlic. You can mince garlic, smoosh it into a paste or just leave big chunks.

Amazon carries what some reviewers say is a cheap knock-off. So beware if that's true. I bought mine at a up-scale kitchen supply store.
I received the Zylis/Jamie Oliver crusher slicer. I used it twice then consigned it to the back of the cutlery drawer. It's very efficient at what it did but it's an absolute pig to clean out. Back with relief to the flat of a knife thumped on the unpeeled clove!

It's called a garlic skinner. Amazon has some for sale, but $6 is ridiculous for a little tube of rubber.

I'm out of garlic now, but I'm going to try rolling my "round tuit" (cost $1 for 2) that I usually use to open jars. It's about the right size, and I'll bet I can roll it into a tube that would work just fine.

I'll let you know if it works.

I have the rubber tube, it was pretty cheap back when I bought it.

I've also heard of using the jar opener to skin garlic.

Like Mad Cook, I just give the cloves a good whack with my knife and the peel comes right off. And they're smashed well enough that a quick run-through with the knife minces them beautifully.

Also, I haven't bought garlic in quite a while. Whenever a clove from a whole head starts to grow, I stick it in the ground outside. Six months later, voilà! A new head of garlic. I have a couple dozen out there right now.

I received the Zylis/Jamie Oliver crusher slicer. I used it twice then consigned it to the back of the cutlery drawer. It's very efficient at what it did but it's an absolute pig to clean out. Back with relief to the flat of a knife thumped on the unpeeled clove!

I use my round plastic garlic press/mincer etc all the time. I even used on some chopped fresh ginger when the fine ginger grater that I bought expressly for ginger just 'swallowed up' all the grated material and I couldn't get them out.

This is my go-tool for a lot of things, not just garlic.

I use my round plastic garlic press/mincer etc all the time. I even used on some chopped fresh ginger when the fine ginger grater that I bought expressly for ginger just 'swallowed up' all the grated material and I couldn't get them out.

This is my go-tool for a lot of things, not just garlic.

Do you have a link to the product?

How else do you use it?

Now that looks like a useful gadget

Thanks, cave. What have you used it on besides garlic?

Post # 8---- I mentioned ginger. I've also used it for a little bit of jalapeno pepper for making a small amount of nuoc cham. There will be other uses. :)

I have a garlic twist and I use it constantly. It does NOT peel the garlic--you use the bottom of the twist to whack the garlic to make it easier to peel.

I sometimes add a little salt before twisting to make a finer paste.

I am on my second one--the first developed a crack after a couple years of use. If I have great big cloves of garlic, I chop them up a little before putting them in the twist, because it makes it easier to turn. (Wimpy little hands.)

I have a garlic twist and I use it constantly. It does NOT peel the garlic--you use the bottom of the twist to whack the garlic to make it easier to peel.

I sometimes add a little salt before twisting to make a finer paste.

I am on my second one--the first developed a crack after a couple years of use. If I have great big cloves of garlic, I chop them up a little before putting them in the twist, because it makes it easier to turn. (Wimpy little hands.)

A couple of good tips. Thanks.

Like Mad Cook, I just give the cloves a good whack with my knife and the peel comes right off. And they're smashed well enough that a quick run-through with the knife minces them beautifully.

Also, I haven't bought garlic in quite a while. Whenever a clove from a whole head starts to grow, I stick it in the ground outside. Six months later, voilà! A new head of garlic. I have a couple dozen out there right now.

Wait..... you actually use garlic? :ROFLMAO:

Interesting little gadget but I don't think it would become part of my tool repertoire. So far I've been more than satisfied using the coarse or fine sections of my microplane grater to end up with my preferred mince for garlic. In fact, if I want garlic paste, I usually pass the garlic over the finest part of the grater, then add some salt to the grated garlic and smoosh with the back of a spoon until I achieve the consistency of the garlic paste I want.

For years I've been using my old metal Ovaltine shaker to peel cloves. I just put the separated cloves into the shaker, put the top on and and shake vigorously. In no time the cloves shed their skins and I have perfectly peeled garlic. I saw a chef do this with a couple of small metal mixing bowls, one placed atop the other, then shake. Worked. Why wouldn't the same principle apply to another metal device, which I already had and used to make slurries for gravy, etc.?

In case your're wondering, here's what mine looks like .

Before that I used a 6-inch section of pliable plumbing hose I bought at the building supply/home center store for, I think, less than a dollar. I'd seen the ridiculously costly ones in cooking stores and in catalogues and figured I could come up with the same thing for waaaay less. And I did. I bought a couple of feet of the stuff, cut several and gave them to friends, who use them all the time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:LOL:

I smack, peel and chop or use my garlic press. But I always smack and peel first. Depends on what I am making.

If I need some for meat loaf or meat balls, I use the press. When I am making a sauce or other long cooking dish, I chop it to the desired consistency.

I am pretty good with a chefs knife and sometimes I will add the coarse salt and with the knife, make a paste. Great for garlic bread.
I'm hungry now!

Back
Top Bottom