"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike View Post
Thanks, I'll give that a try too.

Do you remove the paper once the pizza is on the stone?

I ask because I wonder if it might not stop the stone sucking up the moisture.

Michael
No, I left the paper on. The crust came out nice and crispy and the parchment paper was browned and very dry.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Cornmeal is your friend. To echo what others have said, liberally dust your peel with cornmeal, build the pizza on the peel shaking it periodically to ensure it stays unstuck.

To transfer the pizza to the hot stone, place the leading edge of the peel at the rear of the stone with a downward tilt. Gradually shake the peel to edge the pizza onto the stone pulling the peel backwards as you shake until the pizza is off the peel and on the stone.

Roughly reverse the process to get the pizza off the stone.

Consider going to a pizza place and watching them make a pizza or two.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Cornmeal is your friend. To echo what others have said, liberally dust your peel with cornmeal, build the pizza on the peel shaking it periodically to ensure it stays unstuck.

To transfer the pizza to the hot stone, place the leading edge of the peel at the rear of the stone with a downward tilt. Gradually shake the peel to edge the pizza onto the stone pulling the peel backwards as you shake until the pizza is off the peel and on the stone.

Roughly reverse the process to get the pizza off the stone.

Consider going to a pizza place and watching them make a pizza or two.
Hey Andy, I was wondering when you were going to chime in! Well said. I would also like to add, when making your pizza, start small, 10" or so. Till you get the hang of it.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Cheers for the recipe Mike

Quote:
Thank you GLC and salt and pepper! ;-)

Seems like corn meal will be on my list.

Jamie Oliver (the world's richest chef - $250,000.00) has a pizza recipe which uses..

• 1kg strong white bread flour or Tipo ‘00’ flour
or 800g strong white bread flour or Tipo ‘00’ flour, plus 200g finely ground semolina flour
• 1 level tablespoon fine sea salt
• 2 x 7g sachets of dried yeast
• 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 650ml lukewarm water

Interesting perhaps that he adds the semolina flour.

Lucky you GLX

Michael
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I also use a wood pizza peal with cornmeal on it to aid the sliding onto the hot stone, with only limited success. I pile so much stuff onto the crust that often some of the goodies ended up on the bottom of the oven. I discovered if I made a foil collar for the back of the stone before heating the stone, that the problem was solved.
Good idea and I'll try it if the other suggestions don't work.

I'm sure you tried making a ridge around the edge of the pizza.

Michael
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
Head Chef

Also make sure that your dough isn't too soft. Pizza dough should be fairly firm, so that a little bit of corn meal on the peel and on the stone makes transferring easy.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Good idea and I'll try it if the other suggestions don't work.

I'm sure you tried making a ridge around the edge of the pizza.

Michael
Actually that's part of the problem Michael. I hate a thick crust ridge around the edge as it seems nobody eats it and it goes to waste. The method of the foil collar at the back of the stone allows the entire surface to be covered right to the edge of the dough.
My stone sits in a metal cradle with handles that allows me to remove the whole thing to the counter where I use kitchen shears to cut the slices, rather than a knife that could be dulled on the stone, or a "never sharp enough" pizza cutter. Also leaving the pizza on the stone keeps it nice and hot for servings.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, I'll give that a try too.

Do you remove the paper once the pizza is on the stone?

I ask because I wonder if it might not stop the stone sucking up the moisture.

Michael
I use parchment, but I do remove the paper, I find that in my oven @550 the parchment gets too browned and brittle where it is exposed.

I let the pizza cook for about 1 minute, then use the peel to hold the pizza in place, and pull on the parchment, it slides right out.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I use parchment, but I do remove the paper, I find that in my oven @550 the parchment gets too browned and brittle where it is exposed.

I let the pizza cook for about 1 minute, then use the peel to hold the pizza in place, and pull on the parchment, it slides right out.
I'll give that a shot BC. It makes perfect sense. Thanks. There's always something new to learn here.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Actually that's part of the problem Michael. I hate a thick crust ridge around the edge as it seems nobody eats it and it goes to waste. The method of the foil collar at the back of the stone allows the entire surface to be covered right to the edge of the dough.
My stone sits in a metal cradle with handles that allows me to remove the whole thing to the counter where I use kitchen shears to cut the slices, rather than a knife that could be dulled on the stone, or a "never sharp enough" pizza cutter. Also leaving the pizza on the stone keeps it nice and hot for servings.
My pizza cutter is from Pampered Chef, and it came with a plastic sleeve for protection in the utensil drawer (for both the wheel and fingers). It has a 3" wheel and it's been the best one I've ever used. I don't cut on the stone, but then, once the pie is cooked I have no difficulty at all using the peel to transfer it to a cutting board.

These days I do pizza on the grill more than anything else. I don't use a stone for that, so it's not an issue.

Tags
pizza