"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post
I must have been doing it wrong all these years or else I am lazy. I always build my pizza right on my stone and we eat it right off the stone. No need for other tools. I make pizza weekly too. I have three stones so everyone gets what they want.
Ideally, the stone should be at cooking temp when pizza is placed on it. That's the whole idea behind using the stone. Otherwise, you can use a metal pizza pan to cook your pizzas. They'll probably cook much faster too.
How long does it take to cook your pizzas using your method?

Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
I must have been doing it wrong all these years or else I am lazy. I always build my pizza right on my stone and we eat it right off the stone. No need for other tools. I make pizza weekly too. I have three stones so everyone gets what they want.
I've done it this way too.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

I always preheat the stone in the oven. Handling a heavy, 500F stone is not my idea of fun.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
I can't see how you can get a crispy crust on a cold stone. Mine is 3/4 inch thick and takes an hour to heat up to the proper temp(550). Any sooner you might as well cook pizza on a peice of white bread! Sorry but why even use a stone?
Are you making fresh pizza or store bought? The whole idea is to suck the moisture out of the dough to get a crisp crust, you can't do that on a cold stone. Might just as well use a pizza pan or cookie sheet, as they are much cheeper!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I can't see how you can get a crispy crust on a cold stone. Mine is 3/4 inch thick and takes an hour to heat up to the proper temp(550). Any sooner you might as well cook pizza on a peice of white bread! Sorry but why even use a stone?
Are you making fresh pizza or store bought? The whole idea is to suck the moisture out of the dough to get a crisp crust, you can't do that on a cold stone. Might just as well use a pizza pan or cookie sheet, as they are much cheeper!
I usually heat the stone, and The crust is crispier, but I have done it without heating the stone and it is still better than a cookie sheet. I am guessing it would be better than a piece of white bread too, but I have not checked that one out.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I usually heat the stone, and The crust is crispier, but I have done it without heating the stone and it is still better than a cookie sheet. I am guessing it would be better than a piece of white bread too, but I have not checked that one out.
Just a little humor. Forget about the white bread, too messy!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #47
Cook

Wow! I must be really wrong. No store bought by the way. I heat up the stone. My big one is a pampered chef stone so on the thinner side. I cook my dough first, take it out, build my pizza, and back in the oven for 15 minutes. Crust is crispy and good IMO and my families opinion. I guess I will need to try out a few other ways.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Wow! I must be really wrong. No store bought by the way. I heat up the stone. My big one is a pampered chef stone so on the thinner side. I cook my dough first, take it out, build my pizza, and back in the oven for 15 minutes. Crust is crispy and good IMO and my families opinion. I guess I will need to try out a few other ways.
Sorry, I thought you were putting it on a cold stone. Of course a thinner stone takes less time to heat, but after breaking a few pampered chefs, I went to a fiberment stone which is now over ten years old and does take longer to heat.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Just a little humor. Forget about the white bread, too messy!!!
Ok, guess I won't check it out then.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #50
Cook

Quote:
Sorry, I thought you were putting it on a cold stone. Of course a thinner stone takes less time to heat, but after breaking a few pampered chefs, I went to a fiberment stone which is now over ten years old and does take longer to heat.
Eh probably not the "proper" way but cooking the crust first makes it easier to get it back on the stone.

Tags
pizza