"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #41
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post
I must have been doing it wrong all these years or else I am lazy. I always build my pizza right on my stone and we eat it right off the stone. No need for other tools. I make pizza weekly too. I have three stones so everyone gets what they want.
Ideally, the stone should be at cooking temp when pizza is placed on it. That's the whole idea behind using the stone. Otherwise, you can use a metal pizza pan to cook your pizzas. They'll probably cook much faster too.
How long does it take to cook your pizzas using your method?
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #42
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post
I must have been doing it wrong all these years or else I am lazy. I always build my pizza right on my stone and we eat it right off the stone. No need for other tools. I make pizza weekly too. I have three stones so everyone gets what they want.
I've done it this way too.
__________________

__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post
I must have been doing it wrong all these years or else I am lazy. I always build my pizza right on my stone and we eat it right off the stone. No need for other tools. I make pizza weekly too. I have three stones so everyone gets what they want.

I always preheat the stone in the oven. Handling a heavy, 500F stone is not my idea of fun.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #44
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post
I must have been doing it wrong all these years or else I am lazy. I always build my pizza right on my stone and we eat it right off the stone. No need for other tools. I make pizza weekly too. I have three stones so everyone gets what they want.
I can't see how you can get a crispy crust on a cold stone. Mine is 3/4 inch thick and takes an hour to heat up to the proper temp(550). Any sooner you might as well cook pizza on a peice of white bread! Sorry but why even use a stone?
Are you making fresh pizza or store bought? The whole idea is to suck the moisture out of the dough to get a crisp crust, you can't do that on a cold stone. Might just as well use a pizza pan or cookie sheet, as they are much cheeper!
__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #45
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I can't see how you can get a crispy crust on a cold stone. Mine is 3/4 inch thick and takes an hour to heat up to the proper temp(550). Any sooner you might as well cook pizza on a peice of white bread! Sorry but why even use a stone?
Are you making fresh pizza or store bought? The whole idea is to suck the moisture out of the dough to get a crisp crust, you can't do that on a cold stone. Might just as well use a pizza pan or cookie sheet, as they are much cheeper!
I usually heat the stone, and The crust is crispier, but I have done it without heating the stone and it is still better than a cookie sheet. I am guessing it would be better than a piece of white bread too, but I have not checked that one out.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #46
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I usually heat the stone, and The crust is crispier, but I have done it without heating the stone and it is still better than a cookie sheet. I am guessing it would be better than a piece of white bread too, but I have not checked that one out.
Just a little humor. Forget about the white bread, too messy!!!
__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #47
Cook
 
VitaWright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 94
Wow! I must be really wrong. No store bought by the way. I heat up the stone. My big one is a pampered chef stone so on the thinner side. I cook my dough first, take it out, build my pizza, and back in the oven for 15 minutes. Crust is crispy and good IMO and my families opinion. I guess I will need to try out a few other ways.
__________________
VitaWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #48
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post
Wow! I must be really wrong. No store bought by the way. I heat up the stone. My big one is a pampered chef stone so on the thinner side. I cook my dough first, take it out, build my pizza, and back in the oven for 15 minutes. Crust is crispy and good IMO and my families opinion. I guess I will need to try out a few other ways.
Sorry, I thought you were putting it on a cold stone. Of course a thinner stone takes less time to heat, but after breaking a few pampered chefs, I went to a fiberment stone which is now over ten years old and does take longer to heat.
__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #49
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Just a little humor. Forget about the white bread, too messy!!!
Ok, guess I won't check it out then.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #50
Cook
 
VitaWright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Sorry, I thought you were putting it on a cold stone. Of course a thinner stone takes less time to heat, but after breaking a few pampered chefs, I went to a fiberment stone which is now over ten years old and does take longer to heat.
Eh probably not the "proper" way but cooking the crust first makes it easier to get it back on the stone.
__________________

__________________
VitaWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pizza

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.