Good peeler for peaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mother had one of those. I learned to peel with it. The handle of that style has become very painful to hold. Not at all suitable for aged arthritic hands. I am unable to make a fist with both hands. So I need a much thicker handle. :angel:

I still would like to understand why peaches need to be peeled? Seriously. I have never seen peach peeled.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I still would like to understand why peaches need to be peeled? Seriously. I have never seen peach peeled.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Good morning Charlie. The original poster regarding this subject is canning the peaches. Thus they have to be peeled. Have you ever had a can of peaches from the store? The peel is always removed. Also, a lot of people will peel one even if they are eating them right off the tree. Cooked peach skins are rather unpleasant when you go to eat them. :angel:

The original poster also is under an energy restriction. They knew about the hot water but it is .... banned? ergo human energy is needed.

Addie, I feel for you with the arthritis. Mine is mainly in my spine & hips. Although I do have some in my hands it is not by any means preventing me from various chores... so far... :ermm:

The original poster also is under an energy restriction. They knew about the hot water but it is .... banned? ergo human energy is needed.

Addie, I feel for you with the arthritis. Mine is mainly in my spine & hips. Although I do have some in my hands it is not by any means preventing me from various chores... so far... :ermm:
Presumably s/he has a kettle to heat the water. Otherwise how is s/he making tea and coffee.

I too also have it in my spine and hips. I now have to use a scooter to get around. And can not stand too long. I would like to say it is a PITA, but that is the one place that doesn't hurt. :angel:

img_1477410_0_cce9f575df1016e5a9e4c33ad19940ff.gif
OMG - I'm sorry but I just can't believe someone would pay that price for a vegetable peeler. Max. price is 3.99 and even then usually on special. I have one I bought while setting up my first kitchen back in the mid-60's. I still have it! Getting a little thin on the side but the more it is used... the sharper it becomes!

Bought a new one but is still not as sharp as the old, just haven't used it enough. Received a Y shaped ceramic one included with another purchase, am only just starting to get used to it and still certainly not my favourite.

Here is a pic (I hope) and even today it is only $3.99 Canadian! Best peeler ever!

img_1477410_1_4a54ab2176fa1e7815bdb3f35369a231.png

No, just to make it clear, I didn't pay anywhere near the advertised price in the link I cited. I bought mine many, many years ago and probably spent less then $5 for each.

I was just using the link as an example of what I use.

Presumably s/he has a kettle to heat the water. Otherwise how is s/he making tea and coffee.

There are people who don't drink coffee or tea, but the OP said this:
Thanks! I've seen that method demonstrated on youtube, but I would like to get a peeler. There is a cooking gas outage in my building and I'm trying to avoid using the cheap electric portable burners they gave us.

I'm in the scald camp as well but I that were not an option I would quarter the peaches and then "filet" the peel away the same way you cut the skin off a fish filet. Skin side own on the board.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom