Good pepper grinder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As with most spices, I'd expect some to be higher quality than others. Not all tellicherry peppercorns are the same quality. I'm not suggesting the link you posted is for inferior peppers. Just be aware.

Makes sense. With peppercorns I wouldn't know the difference, so I'm relying on the Amazon reviews.

When you first grind those peppercorns you will get a rich fruity aroma. So much more than pre-ground pepper.

I'm looking forward to trying the Tellicherry peppercorns with my new Magnum grinder! I'm sure it will be a big step up from the peppercorns I got at the supermarket.

Many eons ago I bought the Old Thompson set with the crank handle on the top. The grind was adjustable right on the top. From very fine, to really course. I loved that set. The salt shaker was also a grinder for sea salt crystals. They were nice and tall and held a lot of peppercorns. Then when I got sick, pepper was no longer a part of my diet. So I just gave them away. I still miss them. :angel:

I have one that I got from a friend who owned a restaurant in Las Vegas. He had 3 or 4 and when they went out of business I asked him if he would consider selling one. He ended up just giving it to me. That was in 1995.

It works great, but at 18" is huge. The nice thing is I only have to fill it about once every 6 months. The other thing I've noticed is that it tends to be a conversation piece since a lot of people ask about it.

I'm not sure if this is the exact same model, since there are no markings on mine, but it's the right height and looks very similar.

http://rapidswholesale.com/tablecraft-pepper-mill-18-h-mahogany-finish.html

Last edited:
Have any of you seen the one Sara Moulton uses? It was handcrafted by a fan. All carved by hand. She made the mistake of giving his name out and he was inundated with requests to have one made.

My girlfriend in California has two of them. They cost over $100. (She has the money.) One for each end of the dinner table when she is entertaining. The old gentleman had to stop taking orders. It started out as a hobby and turned into a second living. Some folks had to wait up to a year to get theirs. :angel:

Have any of you seen the one Sara Moulton uses? It was handcrafted by a fan. All carved by hand. She made the mistake of giving his name out and he was inundated with requests to have one made.

My girlfriend in California has two of them. They cost over $100. (She has the money.) One for each end of the dinner table when she is entertaining. The old gentleman had to stop taking orders. It started out as a hobby and turned into a second living. Some folks had to wait up to a year to get theirs. :angel:

Yes, I've seen them in high end shops here Addie and they are spectacular to say the least. You can still order them if anyone is interested though. Lots of people here at DC have very costly and not so beautiful cooking equipment.
Salt and Pepper Mills Art Gallery, Wooden Salt & Pepper Grinders, Unique Wood Pepper mills, Salt Mills, Salt Pepper Shaker

Last edited:
Yep, that's the one RB, and I couldn't agree more. Mine will be an heirloom. Here's the product description..

"This Atlas 8 inch brass pepper mill is hand made in Greece using the same methods used for the past 300 years with durable all metal bodies and a tool steel grinding mechanism built to last. Atlas mills are the origin of the phrase "pepper grinder", since these mills actually grind the pepper. Common pepper mills only smash the peppercorns, which severely limits the flavor release. The Atlas mill is a unique piece of European tradition that is functionally the best in the world!"

Yes. Buy one time in your life. It is that well made. I get many compliments and questions about it from friends and family. I like the handle vs the top that turns. Much easier on the hands when hands are wet or greasy. Top performer so far in our house.

You must have read my mind! I was just going to look online to see if there were any good deals on Tellicherry peppercorns. If you know of any, please post!

Costco. 14.1 oz, less than $6.

Yes, I've seen them in high end shops here Addie and they are spectacular to say the least. You can still order them if anyone is interested though. Lots of people here at DC have very costly and not so beautiful cooking equipment.
Salt and Pepper Mills Art Gallery, Wooden Salt & Pepper Grinders, Unique Wood Pepper mills, Salt Mills, Salt Pepper Shaker

Wow these are gorgeous! I ended up getting the Unicorn Magnum with an Amazon gift card. Maybe I'll splurge for one of these beautiful wooden ones later!

I'd love some tips on choosing a good pepper grinder. I have an old Bodum electric salt and pepper dual grinder that I hate and am going to get rid of. All I need is a good solid pepper mill. It doesn't have to look gorgeous because it will sit on my kitchen cart, not on my dining table. Which one do you like and why?
I have a hate-hate relationship with pepper grinders at the moment and I need a new one that WORKS!

I'm not usually moved by things I see on television but this one has impressed me:-

PepperMate Ceramic Pepper and Spice Grinder

But the price of it - and this is the cheapest I've seen it at!!! It translates to about $45!!! I suppose you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I have a hate-hate relationship with pepper grinders at the moment and I need a new one that WORKS!

I'm not usually moved by things I see on television but this one has impressed me:-

But the price of it - and this is the cheapest I've seen it at!!! It translates to about $45!!! I suppose you get what you pay for.

That one looks really cool!

I don't know this model but Cole & Mason are a good brand.

I was going to buy that one, but a lot of the reviews on Amazon said that the top came off too easily. I ended up getting the Unicorn Magnum which is not as attractive as the Cole but is very sturdy and got great reviews on both Cooks Illustrated and Amazon.

Update: so far the Magnum is working pretty well. It's a bit hard to twist at times because it's made of a slippery plastic, but the pepper grinds pretty uniformly and a ton comes out with just a slight turn.

What kind of guarantee does it have? That can make a big difference.

This looks similar to the one Jacques Pépin used in his omelet video.

I just ordered a new "pepper mill". A KA spice grinder with extra bowls. If this one craps out in a short time, I'm going with the Waring commercial unit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom