Good pepper grinder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I'd love some tips on choosing a good pepper grinder. I have an old Bodum electric salt and pepper dual grinder that I hate and am going to get rid of. All I need is a good solid pepper mill. It doesn't have to look gorgeous because it will sit on my kitchen cart, not on my dining table. Which one do you like and why?

Good question, KG. I've never been real thrilled with any of my pepper grinders either, though the one I have now is better than the others I've had. The name on the bottom says Wm. Bounds Ltd, it's clear acrylic with metal grinding mechanism.

Good question, KG. I've never been real thrilled with any of my pepper grinders either, though the one I have now is better than the others I've had. The name on the bottom says Wm. Bounds Ltd, it's clear acrylic with metal grinding mechanism.

I've heard that the best ones have ceramic mechanisms like the Kyocera. Looking forward to seeing what people post!

I'm also in the market for one. I was in the new local kitchen store the other day and saw one that was copper, it was almost MINE! A great pepper grinder is definitely something that I'm going to treat myself to soon.

I'm also in the market for one. I was in the new local kitchen store the other day and saw one that was copper, it was almost MINE! A great pepper grinder is definitely something that I'm going to treat myself to soon.

They really seem to range in price. I'm hoping to find a nice one for under $20.

I have the plus, which is taller and holds more peppercorns. There is also a smaller version. It holds a LOT of pepper and grinds a lot of pepper very quickly.

Is the only difference the amount of storage for peppercorns?

I've given up on pepper mills. I now use the spice grinder.

+1 on the Unicorn. I have way too many of these that were junk. As Andy said, ATK repeatedily rates this at #1. It is a uniform grind, lots of pepper, it does not get clogged. Spend the money, you will not regret it.

My favorite pepper mill is the Peugeot. Not cheap but it was the best I ever used. I had it in my restaurant kitchen and used it many times a day for years. Alas, since my separation I didn't get it. I'm going to get myself another one some day....
m_SP8115WC-fidji.jpg

Many years ago Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) used this on his tv show. I lusted after that pepper grinder like it was jewelry but couldn't afford anything so pricy in those days. My sweet father in law gave it to me for a Christmas gift, and it's one of my most memorable gifts even after all these many years. It's perfect in every way, and well worth the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Mill-Imports-Atlas-Brass/dp/B00015USPQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Last edited:
Many years ago Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) used this on his tv show. I lusted after that pepper grinder like it was jewelry but couldn't afford anything so pricy in those days. My sweet father in law gave it to me for a Christmas gift, and it's one of my most memorable gifts even after all these many years. It's perfect in every way, and well worth the price.

Pepper Mill Imports Atlas Pepper Mill, Brass, 8" : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

According to the reviews, it lacks any significant adjustment range in how fine it grinds. Even the coarsest setting is what most cooks would call fine. I need one that has a wider range. So far, Andy's Unicorn seems the best one to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom