Good pepper grinder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many years ago Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) used this on his tv show. I lusted after that pepper grinder like it was jewelry but couldn't afford anything so pricy in those days. My sweet father in law gave it to me for a Christmas gift, and it's one of my most memorable gifts even after all these many years. It's perfect in every way, and well worth the price.

Pepper Mill Imports Atlas Pepper Mill, Brass, 8" : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

That is a cool looking grinder. This style started out as a coffee grinder for Turkish coffee. I have one in the basement that belonged to my uncle. It's still caked with coffee grounds.

Many years ago Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) used this on his tv show. I lusted after that pepper grinder like it was jewelry but couldn't afford anything so pricy in those days. My sweet father in law gave it to me for a Christmas gift, and it's one of my most memorable gifts even after all these many years. It's perfect in every way, and well worth the price.

Pepper Mill Imports Atlas Pepper Mill, Brass, 8" : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

Its the same one I have. The Name is "Atlas" and it is imported from Greece. My wife bought it for me out of a chefs catalog.

According to the reviews, it lacks any significant adjustment range in how fine it grinds. Even the coarsest setting is what most cooks would call fine. I need one that has a wider range. So far, Andy's Unicorn seems the best one to me.

I would give it very high marks had I reviewed it. I have little issue with fine to coarse grinding.
However, I rarely grind pepper fine. If I need ground pepper, I have that right next to the pepper mill.
In fact, I rarely ever touch the adjustment knob. Its set to fairly course and thats why i use a pepper mill.
Another reason is quality. My grinder is over 17 years old and I use it multiple times per day. It works as well today, as it did when it was brand new. Looks to be a lifetime purchase to me.

Last edited:

http://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Mill-Imports-Atlas-Brass/dp/B00015USPQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

That is definitely kitchen jewelry, gorgeous!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Discuss Cooking mobile app

My current pepper grinder is from trader Joe's, you know the plastic one that comes filled with pepper in the spice section. It's easily refillable and I've been using it for a couple years. I'm long past due for an upgrade!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I called the company that makes the Unicorn grinders, and they recommended the Magnum rather than the Magnum Plus for my specific needs. I think I'm going to get that one.

Great. The only reason I got the PLUS was so I wouldn't have to fill it as often. I'm sure you'll love it.

See about getting some Tellicherry peppercorns. Very aromatic and full of flavor.

My favorite pepper mill is the Peugeot. Not cheap but it was the best I ever used. I had it in my restaurant kitchen and used it many times a day for years. Alas, since my separation I didn't get it. I'm going to get myself another one some day....
m_SP8115WC-fidji.jpg
+ I too like my Peugeot s&p mills.

Its the same one I have. The Name is "Atlas" and it is imported from Greece. My wife bought it for me out of a chefs catalog.

I would give it very high marks had I reviewed it. I have little issue with fine to coarse grinding.
However, I rarely grind pepper fine. If I need ground pepper, I have that right next to the pepper mill.
In fact, I rarely ever touch the adjustment knob. Its set to fairly course and thats why i use a pepper mill.
Another reason is quality. My grinder is over 17 years old and I use it multiple times per day. It works as well today, as it did when it was brand new. Looks to be a lifetime purchase to me.

Yep, that's the one RB, and I couldn't agree more. Mine will be an heirloom. Here's the product description..

"This Atlas 8 inch brass pepper mill is hand made in Greece using the same methods used for the past 300 years with durable all metal bodies and a tool steel grinding mechanism built to last. Atlas mills are the origin of the phrase "pepper grinder", since these mills actually grind the pepper. Common pepper mills only smash the peppercorns, which severely limits the flavor release. The Atlas mill is a unique piece of European tradition that is functionally the best in the world!"

http://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Mill-Imports-Atlas-Brass/dp/B00015USPQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Oooh, purdy, Kayelle! Love it!

Great. The only reason I got the PLUS was so I wouldn't have to fill it as often. I'm sure you'll love it.

See about getting some Tellicherry peppercorns. Very aromatic and full of flavor.

You must have read my mind! I was just going to look online to see if there were any good deals on Tellicherry peppercorns. If you know of any, please post!

You must have read my mind! I was just going to look online to see if there were any good deals on Tellicherry peppercorns. If you know of any, please post!

Penzeys has always been my go-to, they also have other good peppercorns and blends.

Another consideration for your spice needs is Savory Spice shop (Online). Outstanding herbs and spices, as well as some excellent blends. They have 2 different grades of tellicherry peppercorns, as well as 4 different grinds.

As with most spices, I'd expect some to be higher quality than others. Not all tellicherry peppercorns are the same quality. I'm not suggesting the link you posted is for inferior peppers. Just be aware.

Back
Top Bottom