Good pepper grinder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just ordered a new "pepper mill". A KA spice grinder with extra bowls. If this one craps out in a short time, I'm going with the Waring commercial unit.
Cool. Let us know how you like it when you get a chance to use it.

Do you know how this compares to a Magic Bullet?

Yikes I just bought a 16 ounce package on Amazon for double that. I don't have a Costco membership yet, so this was probably the next best deal.

If you have a Costco close by, a membership is a great idea. $50.00 for the standard membership and $100.00 for the executive.
I get the executive as I use the Costco rewards AMEX card. In fact I am getting my reward voucher in February.

Peppercorns are a commodity, like coffee.
The price should fluctuate.
For example, last year we were paying more for coffee at Costco than we are this year. Same with peppercorns. (I think the peppercorns were up a little this year) The price goes up and down depending on variables like rain or lack of rain and the amount of coffee or other commodities on the market.

It did not take us long to realize the membership fee was well worth it.
Not only are the products high quality, they are inexpensive.
It only takes us one or two shopping trips to Costco to re-coup the fee.

Last edited:
It did not take us long to realize the membership fee was well worth it.
Not only are the products high quality, they are inexpensive.
It only takes us one or two shopping trips to Costco to re-coup the fee.

Unfortunately I don't have a Costco nearby, and I'm only shopping for myself (plus 2 feline critters). So in my case, I don't think the membership makes sense :(

We have a Bj's membership and it's only the two of us and we find it well worth it. They are building a Costco more convenient to our house (the one 15 minutes away, isn't where we go often), and we will definitely switch, their stores are awesome and so are their products!

We have a Bj's membership and it's only the two of us and we find it well worth it. They are building a Costco more convenient to our house (the one 15 minutes away, isn't where we go often), and we will definitely switch, their stores are awesome and so are their products!
Yup, for two of us and one cat, we find the extra for the executive membership is worth it.

When you first grind those peppercorns you will get a rich fruity aroma. So much more than pre-ground pepper.

Yep! I couldn't believe the difference (way back in my 20s) when I first encountered fresh ground pepper. I have never bought or used pre-ground pepper since.

Still don't have a good pepper grinder though.

But I've been reading through the comments here with interest.

Cool. Let us know how you like it when you get a chance to use it.

Do you know how this compares to a Magic Bullet?

Will do. Never used one of those. I tend to stay away from things advertised via infomercial.:ermm:

Will do. Never used one of those. I tend to stay away from things advertised via infomercial.:ermm:

I have the Nutribullet (same company) and LOVE it. I wouldn't recommend it for grinding spices though. My Capresso spice grinder does a great job with that.

Yeah, I wouldn't normally buy something advertised in infomercials either. My sister has one and loves it. She kept raving about how wonderful it was and I got a chance to try it for grinding coffee, when I visited her. It's not wonderful, but I don't feel like I wasted my $50 (at Costco).

I wonder how much she uses it, now that she has a Vitamix.

Yep! I couldn't believe the difference (way back in my 20s) when I first encountered fresh ground pepper. I have never bought or used pre-ground pepper since.

Still don't have a good pepper grinder though.

But I've been reading through the comments here with interest.

I just bought the OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill from Amazon For $12.00.

I love my other grinders but sometimes I can't unscrew them easily to refill (arthritis stinks!!). So I will give this a try.

I have many OXO products and have NEVER been unhappy with any of them.

I have 4 grinders 1 filled with peppercorn blend, 1 with salt, 1 with red pepper flakes and 1 with an herb and spice blend. I use them several times a day and may need to switch to the OXO brand grinders.

Attachments

• 71hCXZYlAoL__SX425_.jpg
    71hCXZYlAoL__SX425_.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I just bought the OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill from Amazon For $12.00.

I love my other grinders but sometimes I can't unscrew them easily to refill (arthritis stinks!!). So I will give this a try.

I have many OXO products and have NEVER been unhappy with any of them.

I have 4 grinders 1 filled with peppercorn blend, 1 with salt, 1 with red pepper flakes and 1 with an herb and spice blend. I use them several times a day and may need to switch to the OXO brand grinders.

This is OXO at it best and original concept. To help elderly arthritic hands do everyday simple chores. :angel:

The Atlas peppermill also employs the handle. It is also brass with a stainless steel replaceable grinding mechanism. It requires a 7/16" wrench to remove the handle to fill it though.
I found an old, open end wrench in the basement and just keep it in the kitchen drawer.
But it was expensive. However, I do not see us buying another one in our lifetime.
Maybe a mechanism? I have had mine for over 15 years and it grinds as good today as it did brand new.

I haven't received the OXO yet but the front part is a clear window that pulls open to fill. It looks pretty easy to use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom