Good value, inexpensive mandoline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My brother needs a mandoline. What I would be looking at would be beyond what would be worthwhile for him on price. Our needs our different. He would be using it for home use potato chips and such for the family.

The "Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steel Multiple-Blade Mandoline Slicer Item: 474-419" from HSN has been mentioned. "What do I think?" I have concerns about quality with both HSN and Puck.

Also, safety is the first concern with a mandoline.

For a low cost, but adequate and safe choice - I wonder if the "Oxo V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (16-in.) Item #660137 cooking.com" might be a better choice. For value I have found Oxo to be 'best choice' several times. Oxo does have another, more expensive, 16" mandoline, plus a higher-end mandoline as well.

Recommendations for modest cost, effective, safe mandoline for small family use? My knowledge is limited to the higher end options and not useful to his needs.

my guy bought me a mandoline for like $100 maybe last year. the year before that? very efficient item, although difficult. he sliced tomatoes & onions, then we kinda tucked that into a closet. a grater makes chips, too, for way less. my mandoline is french. MIU, maybe? the printing is odd on its box.

I have a home made mandoline for the last 20 years, works fine, but some times I just use the mandoline side of the box grater, when I make potato chips, all $6 bucks or so.

A Japanese mandoline for $40 - darn, that's not bad. I have considered getting one, but then I question how much I would really use it. "I've made it this far without one" ends up being my attitude. Plus, I do the same thing as ya'll and use my box grater.

DiscussCooking Forum is sometimes a humbling experience. I saw the title and thought, "wait...a mandolin is a musical instrument and not food so he must mean mandarin oranges". Now I see that it's a food slicer and that everyone is privy to this but me :huh:

DiscussCooking Forum is sometimes a humbling experience. I saw the title and thought, "wait...a mandolin is a musical instrument and not food so he must mean mandarin oranges". Now I see that it's a food slicer and that everyone is privy to this but me :huh:
Hi Mollyanne,
I put off getting one for years. About 10 years ago my dh and I were in Napa and saw a Dean and Delucca store, we went inside and I fell in love. He bought me amd expensive mandoline and I have never used it. Because he lost the directions. Last Christmas my sister bought me another one, made by Oxo I use it a lot. Especially when I want potatoes sliced to the same thickness, or I need to slice many carrots,celery,cucumbers for pickles. I wouldn't be without it now. I think my sister paid about $40.00 for it I love it, it cuts down on tedious work and boy do i enjoy that.The melody isn't grand, but the eating is easy
kades:)

For a low cost, but adequate and safe choice - I wonder if the "Oxo V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (16-in.) Item #660137 cooking.com" might be a better choice. For value I have found Oxo to be 'best choice' several times. Oxo does have another, more expensive, 16" mandoline, plus a higher-end mandoline as well.

I used to have one of those. Not a bad tool at all, but you can't do gaufrette cut with it and I believe that you swap out the blades for the different cut sizes so you can't do any fine adjusting... so it may not have the paper thin slices you are looking for. Been a few years since I've messed with it.

i like my oxo mandolin as well. it's not tremendously flexible as far as widths go, but the standard widths and the blade change is very easy with the twist of a knob on the side.

clean up is also easy as it snaps apart.

Have been reading a lot of the info on here about various mandolines and the Bron seems very popular. I think that's theone I'm going to purchase. Will let you know how I like it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom