Got my new Thermopen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
Today was like X-mas, 3 different packages for me!:) Among them was my new Splashproof Thermopen thermometer. Recently they had an overstock sale on the new model in 3 colors (gray, yellow and white), regularly $96 but on sale for $75.

Was it worth the money to replace my perfectly functional original Thermopen? Obviously I haven't used it yet except to confirm functionality but I think it will be worth the money. The first obvious difference is the sleek form. One thing I didn't like about the original was the way the temperature readout was set into the body. That window was recessed a couple mm giving dirt & debris a chance to accumulate and making it hard to clean. The flush window of the new one and a general redesign makes it more sanitary.

The first time you open it you see another difference- the new one reads in tens of a degree. I think you can configure it to read in whole degrees only but the extra precision is nice, especially since it's also purported to be more accurate. Unlike the original which had to be ordered in F or in C, the new one can be configured to display either. It's also simpler to recalibrate. I can already see from testing it in water and air that it reads a bit faster. While the old one took an unusual battery I've never seen before the new one takes watch batteries.

The last major difference is the one that sold me in the first place- it's waterproof (or water resistant). Supposedly the original isn't well sealed. Some have reported the humidity from being used over boiling water can short it out. I never had any problems but it's good to know it's water tight.

The only minor grip I have is that it's harder so swing the temperature probe out on the new one. I imagine that's one side effect of making everything water tight.

All in all I think it's going to be a nice upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom