Granite Blocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
I am having granite countertops installed and the fabricator said he'd make me a block about 12x16. For those of you who are familiar with granite, what can I use this for? I know it would dull my knives, so chopping is out. I am really in need of suggestions.

Maybe it could be used for making fudge. It's been a while since I've visited Mackinaw Island, but I think I remember a giant stone (marble, I believe) table in the shops.

I don't know if it would work as a pizza stone, but it might be worth a shot.

Last edited:
As others have said, pastries/cookies.

One thing nobody mentioned, however, is for cutting cheese. Personally I prefer marble for this, but granite works just fine, as well.

Stone gets cold - and retains that cold ... good for pastry (ideal for pie crusts and butter cookies) and candies where keeping the dough/candy cold is important.

There was a French candy guy on TV - I'm not being rude I just don't remember his name - and I can see where a stone slab would be an advantage for doing the stuff he was doing.

Last edited:
Essiebunny,
When I did my granite countertops, I used the cut-out from the sink to get two window sills to match. However, with the size you mentioned, I can't think of any other use than the one everybody suggested (slab for pastries/dough/candy)

Can the fabricator cut it thin (like tile), if you get 4 of those, you can use them for the top surface of a kitchen cart to match your countertops. This will require a bit of work, I am not sure how much expertise you have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom