Green Bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chicklady

Assistant Cook
Has anyone tried the green bags i keep seeing advertised that are supposed to make produce keep its quality longer? Do they work?

Mine didn't...it does seem like ordinary supermarket bag. What I do with my fresh produce is wash them, then dry them well, wrap them in paper towels and put it back in the supermarket bag. It is the steam/water that comes out of the fresh produce that the paper towel absorbs, making your fresh produce last longer. My vegetables sometimes last more than a week if I forgot to use it within the week...Now I consider it a waste of money just buying those green bags. Been there, done that, doesn't work.

i ordered from tv. i didn't think they were worth the money. nothing lasted any longer that i could see. on some fruits, they seemed to speed up the rotting process.

also can't use twist ties on them, box says. no way to keep them closed.

i would not recommend them.

babe:ermm:

I was in a discount store yesterday and had a box of them in my hand. A woman came over and said to her husband, "Oh there are those Green Bags that don't work".

I said, "They don't?" She said they didn't work for her and that maybe she wasn't "doing it right". LOL! I put them back.

Lee

Sigh. Guess it's just as well Price Chopper didn't have them even though they advertised them this week *grrrrrr*
Thanks for the feedback!

how funny! i was going to hunt up the ol' "green bags" thread this week and report back: actual field test! though weird non-green bag brand, so kind of a bust overall.

my bf used to work as a writer/tech support for some hippie new age magnets & herbs kind of catalog company (don't ask...he manages a movie theater now, which is far easier to explain), and occasionally still does go in to fix something on their computer system. one night about 2 months ago, he came home with a blue box of large size ziploc baggies and told me they were for all my produce. i said i was all excited and had wanted to try the green bags, and he told me they weren't the same thing at all. they're some korean product (which is why i can't give you the brand name - not a lick of english anywhere on the package!) that is the same idea with a different method. the green bags are supposed to absorb ethylene oxide, the gas given off by ripening veggies; thusly if you absorb/neutralize it, you slow that ripening -> rot thing down. these bags are instead (according to him, since i don't read korean, lol) some sort of antibacterial bag. they are AMAZING. packages of the trimmed & washed broccoli last for up to 2 weeks without the cut stems rotting. delicate little heads of leaf lettuce from the farmer's market (i.e., purchased at an unrefrigerated stand, so they hadn't been treated gently!) lasted over a week. packages of shredded veggies, like carrots or broccoli or cabbage (i take salad for lunch to work every day, so i have a lot of ready-to-use veggies on hand at all times) stay crispy & fresh tasting, and don't turn grey or slimy on cut edges.

oh, great! i was going to take a picture for you, and the box had a website!!!

°æÇâ»ê¾÷ ȨÆäÀÌÁö~

can't vouch at all for the truth of the antibacterial claims, but these ones DO actually work to keep my veggies much fresher for much longer!

edit: oh, wow, that website link renders in korean characters... if it doesn't work for ya, go to ecleanaid.com and click the link at the top right for english...

Mine didn't...it does seem like ordinary supermarket bag. What I do with my fresh produce is wash them, then dry them well, wrap them in paper towels and put it back in the supermarket bag. It is the steam/water that comes out of the fresh produce that the paper towel absorbs, making your fresh produce last longer. My vegetables sometimes last more than a week if I forgot to use it within the week...Now I consider it a waste of money just buying those green bags. Been there, done that, doesn't work.

I wrap all of my produce in paper towels and then back in the bag too. Everything seems to stay fresh much longer than produce in just the bag. I've had lettuce last 3 weeks easily.

I seem to be the odd woman out......I have used them and find they work just fine. Did keep my things much fresher for a longer time. Just a bit of a pain having to order them over the phone and have to listen to all their ads.

After buying generic bananas, at WalMart, in a green bag that lasted for two weeks, I tried the green bags. They do not work! If I ever remember to look for bananas at WalMart I am going to save the bag.

I did purchase a Rubbermaid bowl that is for keeping salad greens and veggies fresh that works great though. There is a rack in the bottom and the lid has tiny vent holes in it. I had celery in it that was still fresh after 6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom