Hamburger patty press-shaper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I was looking for product replies, not technique replies. Sorry if I got impatient. I recently asked in a contractors forum about attaching a shower radio to my slick tile walls with something better than those stick-um strips, which eventually fail and peel off. I didn't want to drill into the tile or grout. I then get a less than helpful reply asking why I need a shower radio in the first place. That got me a little ticked off.

I haven't bought a patty press yet. I just got home with 2 lbs. of 80%-20% ground beef. I put on my plastic gloves and hand pressed them all to freeze. Took me awhile. I wanted a press to make it go faster.

Anyways, I've noticed that most all patty presses I've viewed are of a certain fixed diameter. It's as if most hamburger presses are designed to make "standard" sized patties. I was hoping to find a patty press that makes wider diameter thin patties (lol, like...Smashmouth sized). Haven't found one yet. I still have my tortilla press (which I've used to make thin 1/8 lb. patties), but wanted something faster. They probably don't make one like I want, yet.

So, for now, I'll continue to hand press my patties for freezing.

I shared with you how I use canning jar rings to form my patties. If you want ones with a larger diameter, you might browse through your pantry to see what containers have lids that are the diameter you seek. You never know what you'll find right under your nose.

...I was hoping to find a patty press that makes wider diameter thin patties (lol, like...Smashmouth sized). Haven't found one yet. I still have my tortilla press (which I've used to make really thin 1/8 lb. patties), but wanted something faster and a bit thicker than 1/8 lb patties. They probably don't make one like I want, yet...
There ya go, Caslon, an opportunity to be an entrepreneur. All you need is a financial backer. Sorry, but I can't help you there...

I have an idea - it doesn't include a standard press. Since you're looking for 1/8 lb. patties, you could try this: weigh out the beef, forming each 2-ounce portion into a ball. Line them up on a piece of wax paper on a rimmed baking sheet, allowing enough room between them for the size of a pressed patty plus extra paper. Lay another piece of waxed paper on top the rows of meatballs, then smash all of them at once by pressing a second baking sheet down onto them, using an even pressure. Lift the top baking sheet, use scissors to cut between the burgers, and stack in freezer bags. Just an idea...

Caslon, do you have any ice cream dashers (scoops)? Take a scoop of meat and then weigh it. Considering the weight you are looking for, next look for a lid in your home that can accommodate it to the width, height and weight you want. Keep in mind that it will shrink some when cooked.

Go back and reread the first sentence of CG"s post. And take some of the advice from Katie H. One less item you will need to keep track of. And money left in your pocket.

There ya go, Caslon, an opportunity to be an entrepreneur. All you need is a financial backer. Sorry, but I can't help you there...

HAha! Ya! I watched one of those Discovery TV inventor programs where two guys invested over $300,000 of their money into little plastic food grabbers that you put on the tips of your two fingers so as not to get all messy eating BBQ and Asian food. :ROFLMAO:

I'm now getting into 3 oz burgers more, hehe. I had bought a tortilla press to make 2 oz. patties, which I would then double up on a bun. That worked pretty well, not so well for making slightly thicker mashed down patties which is how I want them now.

I think a molded press would be faster, if only I could find a wider diameter patty press. Even if its just a plastic one piece stamp down one like I saw at BB&B for $3.97. :)

I'll keep checking the diameter of patty presses for sale.

Last edited:
The only press I've used is a double Mr BBQ press. It seems to take more time and doesn't really press it much.

I like the double cookie pan idea if I was doing a bunch at once.

I think smash burgers are in our plans for tonight... if I have any say in the matter. Probably don't but it's worth a try.

I made them tonight. Big difference. I've always been a three or four smasher.

It's the science behind cooking that intrigues me.

I need to smash them down like usual or spend $300K into making a wider diameter smash down burger press. It'll only cost me $300K or so.

Last edited:
I need to smash them down like usual or spend $300K into making a wider diameter smash down burger press. It'll only cost me $300K or so.

Go to the hardware store and buy a piece of PVC pipe in the size you want. Buy a polycarbonate cutting board from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, BBB, etc. Buy a jig saw (if you don't already have one or a friend doesn't) and cut out a round to fit your PVC pipe. Alternatively, depending on the size of the PVC, by a hole saw and use your drill to cut out your pusher. You can then cut a rectangular piece off the cutting board and screw it to the pusher with stainless screws (Marine hardware store) so you'll have a handle. You can purchase a metal file if you need to file the pusher piece down to fit inside the PVC, and a fine metal file to smooth the edges of the cut PVC and pusher piece.

Even with the cost of a large hole saw and metal files, the above will be a LOT cheaper than $300 K.

You might even go to a place that makes signs and see if they have any scrap heavy-duty polycarbonate they'll let you have or even cut it for you.

I use to have a couple of them, and never used them,
When making them for making ahead and store in freezer, I use an ice cream scoop ( size you desire for your burger) then drop onto plastic wrap and pat down.
Best tool to have for a lot of different things. I have one in every size I found available.
Love them for making meatballs, and my little on for meatballs for Italian wedding soup. I use one for filling deviled eggs, putting the filling in stuff shells and
use them for cookies to come out all the same size -

Take a look at these:
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-18000-KitchenArt-Adjust-A-Burger/dp/B0018EHKW8

Lodge LGPR3 7 1/2" Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Grill Press

Sur La Table Adjustable Burger Press | Sur La Table

https://www.amazon.com/Prep-Solutio...141379&sr=8-12&keywords=hamburger+patty+press

The last link looks interesting as it has multiple diameter rings that would allow you to pick your size.

Tip - add 1 raw egg to a pound of ground beef to control shrinkage. You can't tell it's in there, but your burger will be more juicy, and it won't shrink so much when cooked.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Go to the hardware store and buy a piece of PVC pipe in the size you want. Buy a polycarbonate cutting board from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, BBB, etc. Buy a jig saw (if you don't already have one or a friend doesn't) and cut out a round to fit your PVC pipe. Alternatively, depending on the size of the PVC, by a hole saw and use your drill to cut out your pusher. You can then cut a rectangular piece off the cutting board and screw it to the pusher with stainless screws (Marine hardware store) so you'll have a handle. You can purchase a metal file if you need to file the pusher piece down to fit inside the PVC, and a fine metal file to smooth the edges of the cut PVC and pusher piece.

Even with the cost of a large hole saw and metal files, the above will be a LOT cheaper than $300 K.

You might even go to a place that makes signs and see if they have any scrap heavy-duty polycarbonate they'll let you have or even cut it for you.

Had another thought, you can set the above on a silicone ridged bake or draining mat, form your patties, then pop them in the freezer on the mat so they'll freeze with the ridges you want, then just peel them off the mat and store in a bag or container in the freezer until you want them.

There's a connection between the common diameter of patty presses for sale, the limited 2 sizes of hamburger buns for sale and the few companies that bake bread for all the US. Seriously, 60 minutes should do a story on the bakers of bread. It might blow your mind someday. The Masonic Bakers. There are 3 or 4 main bakeries that bake all the bread we eat. It's all labeled under different brands. Francisco brand no longer carries French Rolls, 12 pack. I liked those. It was a directive from the bakery, lol.

I'm just saying, Roman soldiers ate up to 6 lbs. of bread a day. That sustained the empire fine for a long time.
Stay tuned for some future episode of 60 minutes that explores just how "heavy" the bread industry is. They may portray it as almost Masonic like, in ways. That wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
Those Roman soldiers ate healthy, whole grain, preservative free bread. I'm betting that it was often stale, dry and hard to swallow, but they did not have to deal with the refined carbs that modern bread is made from. If the modern bread bakers made bread like those soldiers had, nobody would buy it.

I'm not saying it's good or bad - that depends somewhat on your own intake - but most bread in the grocery store is not particularly healthy. That's true of most of the carb heavy foods that they sell - flour, rice, etc., are all processed to death. I try to buy mostly breads that advertise as being "whole grain", but I can tell from the texture that there is more than just whole grain flour being used. I just try to go easy on it, although sometimes I get cravings that I simply can't deny.

Those Roman soldiers ate healthy, whole grain, preservative free bread. I'm betting that it was often stale, dry and hard to swallow, but they did not have to deal with the refined carbs that modern bread is made from. If the modern bread bakers made bread like those soldiers had, nobody would buy it.

I'm not saying it's good or bad - that depends somewhat on your own intake - but most bread in the grocery store is not particularly healthy. That's true of most of the carb heavy foods that they sell - flour, rice, etc., are all processed to death. I try to buy mostly breads that advertise as being "whole grain", but I can tell from the texture that there is more than just whole grain flour being used. I just try to go easy on it, although sometimes I get cravings that I simply can't deny.

I'm betting they also had a very crude, unrefined wine in which to dunk that stale bread.:D

Lol. I try and promote my conspiracy theory about a monopoly a few bread makers may try for, and, all you two can reply with is the health of bread today and the quality of wine back then. Hehehe. Bread is good. Roman soldiers ate 6 lbs. of it a day. It's definitely a staple of our modern society. I say there's something fishy about bread bakeries as it is. There's 4 bakery companies baking bread for 300+ million Americans, and it will probably be reduced to 2 in the next decade.

If you can't get a bread product you were used to, it's by dictate of the relatively few bakeries, not because that product wasn't selling well. Orowheat, Sara Lee, Francisco, Wonder Bread and other familiar bread companies have to take what the major bakeries offer.

End of conspiracy rant.

Last edited:
This might blow your mind, Cas, but my old neighborhood used to have at least 5 small bread bakeries in it. Right in the middle of regular suburban houses.

I could never understand how the folks who lived next door to them could stand the delicious smell all day long.

The idea that so much bread is made by relatively few bakeries. Scary, in a way. I propose that there is a Masonic type thing going on with bakeries. Mark my words. A 60 Minutes worthy peek behind the scenes should be produced. End of conspiracy rant.

Last edited:
This might blow your mind, Cas, but my old neighborhood used to have at least 5 small bread bakeries in it. Right in the middle of regular suburban houses.

I could never understand how the folks who lived next door to them could stand the delicious smell all day long.

My kids grew up with an Italian baker just a short block away. In the summer loaves started to come out of the ovens around 8 p.m. I would have the money right in my pocket and they would get a clean towel and run down there. Get a loaf or two, come back and sit on the front steps. I would give them stick of butter and they would have a feast for themselves. This was a summer long ritual. When school started it ended. Was it fattening? I doubt it. The kids were busy playing Red Rover, Red Rover, Come Over. Or stick ball or any number of other street games that kept them running. In the winter it was going to our local skating rink.

Try letting your kids play outside today. Someone will surely report you for neglect and putting your children in danger.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom