"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Well, I was looking for product replies, not technique replies. Sorry if I got impatient. I recently asked in a contractors forum about attaching a shower radio to my slick tile walls with something better than those stick-um strips, which eventually fail and peel off. I didn't want to drill into the tile or grout. I then get a less than helpful reply asking why I need a shower radio in the first place. That got me a little ticked off.

I haven't bought a patty press yet. I just got home with 2 lbs. of 80%-20% ground beef. I put on my plastic gloves and hand pressed them all to freeze. Took me awhile. I wanted a press to make it go faster.

Anyways, I've noticed that most all patty presses I've viewed are of a certain fixed diameter. It's as if most hamburger presses are designed to make "standard" sized patties. I was hoping to find a patty press that makes wider diameter thin patties (lol, like...Smashmouth sized). Haven't found one yet. I still have my tortilla press (which I've used to make thin 1/8 lb. patties), but wanted something faster. They probably don't make one like I want, yet.

So, for now, I'll continue to hand press my patties for freezing.
I shared with you how I use canning jar rings to form my patties. If you want ones with a larger diameter, you might browse through your pantry to see what containers have lids that are the diameter you seek. You never know what you'll find right under your nose.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
...I was hoping to find a patty press that makes wider diameter thin patties (lol, like...Smashmouth sized). Haven't found one yet. I still have my tortilla press (which I've used to make really thin 1/8 lb. patties), but wanted something faster and a bit thicker than 1/8 lb patties. They probably don't make one like I want, yet...
There ya go, Caslon, an opportunity to be an entrepreneur. All you need is a financial backer. Sorry, but I can't help you there...

I have an idea - it doesn't include a standard press. Since you're looking for 1/8 lb. patties, you could try this: weigh out the beef, forming each 2-ounce portion into a ball. Line them up on a piece of wax paper on a rimmed baking sheet, allowing enough room between them for the size of a pressed patty plus extra paper. Lay another piece of waxed paper on top the rows of meatballs, then smash all of them at once by pressing a second baking sheet down onto them, using an even pressure. Lift the top baking sheet, use scissors to cut between the burgers, and stack in freezer bags. Just an idea...

Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Caslon, do you have any ice cream dashers (scoops)? Take a scoop of meat and then weigh it. Considering the weight you are looking for, next look for a lid in your home that can accommodate it to the width, height and weight you want. Keep in mind that it will shrink some when cooked.

Go back and reread the first sentence of CG"s post. And take some of the advice from Katie H. One less item you will need to keep track of. And money left in your pocket.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:44 AM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
There ya go, Caslon, an opportunity to be an entrepreneur. All you need is a financial backer. Sorry, but I can't help you there...
HAha! Ya! I watched one of those Discovery TV inventor programs where two guys invested over $300,000 of their money into little plastic food grabbers that you put on the tips of your two fingers so as not to get all messy eating BBQ and Asian food.

I'm now getting into 3 oz burgers more, hehe. I had bought a tortilla press to make 2 oz. patties, which I would then double up on a bun. That worked pretty well, not so well for making slightly thicker mashed down patties which is how I want them now.

I think a molded press would be faster, if only I could find a wider diameter patty press. Even if its just a plastic one piece stamp down one like I saw at BB&B for $3.97.

I'll keep checking the diameter of patty presses for sale.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #25
Cook

The only press I've used is a double Mr BBQ press. It seems to take more time and doesn't really press it much.

I like the double cookie pan idea if I was doing a bunch at once.

I think smash burgers are in our plans for tonight... if I have any say in the matter. Probably don't but it's worth a try.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 AM   #26
Cook

I made them tonight. Big difference. I've always been a three or four smasher.

It's the science behind cooking that intrigues me.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #27
Head Chef

I need to smash them down like usual or spend $300K into making a wider diameter smash down burger press. It'll only cost me $300K or so.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
I need to smash them down like usual or spend $300K into making a wider diameter smash down burger press. It'll only cost me $300K or so.
Go to the hardware store and buy a piece of PVC pipe in the size you want. Buy a polycarbonate cutting board from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, BBB, etc. Buy a jig saw (if you don't already have one or a friend doesn't) and cut out a round to fit your PVC pipe. Alternatively, depending on the size of the PVC, by a hole saw and use your drill to cut out your pusher. You can then cut a rectangular piece off the cutting board and screw it to the pusher with stainless screws (Marine hardware store) so you'll have a handle. You can purchase a metal file if you need to file the pusher piece down to fit inside the PVC, and a fine metal file to smooth the edges of the cut PVC and pusher piece.

Even with the cost of a large hole saw and metal files, the above will be a LOT cheaper than $300 K.

You might even go to a place that makes signs and see if they have any scrap heavy-duty polycarbonate they'll let you have or even cut it for you.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #29
Head Chef

I use to have a couple of them, and never used them,
When making them for making ahead and store in freezer, I use an ice cream scoop ( size you desire for your burger) then drop onto plastic wrap and pat down.
Best tool to have for a lot of different things. I have one in every size I found available.
Love them for making meatballs, and my little on for meatballs for Italian wedding soup. I use one for filling deviled eggs, putting the filling in stuff shells and
use them for cookies to come out all the same size -
Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #30
Master Chef

Take a look at these:
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-18000.../dp/B0018EHKW8

Lodge LGPR3 7 1/2" Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Grill Press

Sur La Table Adjustable Burger Press | Sur La Table

https://www.amazon.com/Prep-Solution...er+patty+press

The last link looks interesting as it has multiple diameter rings that would allow you to pick your size.

Tip - add 1 raw egg to a pound of ground beef to control shrinkage. You can't tell it's in there, but your burger will be more juicy, and it won't shrink so much when cooked.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ham, hamburger