Hamburger patty press-shaper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I'd looking for a simple inexpensive one, not too bulky. I prefer flatter patties, not thick ones or stuffed patty makers. Also, most complaints are about the patties sticking to the patty press. I'd appreciate any suggestions, and even patty press-shaper brands that failed you.

Here's a link to images of patty shapers. Any of these types work for you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tupperware+burger+shaper&biw=1396&bih=681&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjnl8a38anRAhXEjlQKHQpTDZsQsAQIjgE&dpr=1.38

Last edited:
I just use a large canning jar ring turned upside down. Line it with plastic wrap. Press in my ground meat and lift out the plastic wrap to remove the patty. No need for a tool. I can make them as thick or thin as I wish.

To be totally honest, I have used several different ones and prefer using a spatula with a little oil on it.

I do have one and have used it in the pass to press patties down very thin, but would like it more shaped and a bit thicker, with ridges maybe.

As they cook, the protein in the meat shrinks, which causes them to puff up a bit. So they won't be as thin once they cook. But you can press it however you like. Irregular edges get crispy :yum:

I doubt you'll find a patty press that makes ridges. That would cause a lot of waste because some of the meat would stick in them.

Links on this site don't work for me.

I was suggesting a different way to make them, without having to form them into a patty first.

Last edited:
I would get a press if I'm making dozens of patties.
Otherwise, some wax paper and a dinner plate press if I'm just doing a few. I also often use the "smash burger" method with a heavy spachula if grilling on a flat griddle.

I could probably tell what patty shaper I would like if I was able to see one at the store, but both Walmart and BB&B have only 1 or 2 that they stock on the shelves, the rest have to be special ordered on their site. There are so many more out there, I was hoping for a recommendation.

Um. FORGET IT !!! Since noone here uses a hamburger press. That's what I was specifically asking about. I wasn't asking how to make a freaking smashburger.

Last edited:
Um. FORGET IT !!! Since noone here uses a hamburger press. That's what I was specifically asking about. I wasn't asking how to make a freaking smashburger.

I'll have to remember, next time you ask about something, people are only allowed to respond to your specific parameters :rolleyes:

We just had a recent thread about presses. Did you bother to search for it?:huh:

I'll have to remember, next time you ask about something, people are only allowed to respond to your specific parameters :rolleyes:

Well, I was looking for product replies, not technique replies. Sorry if I got impatient. I recently asked in a contractors forum about attaching a shower radio to my slick tile walls with something better than those stick-um strips, which eventually fail and peel off. I didn't want to drill into the tile or grout. I then get a less than helpful reply asking why I need a shower radio in the first place. That got me a little ticked off. Fortunately, some in that forum replied with a glue product that sticks really well, even tho the residue has to be scraped off with a razor blade if I move. That was ok with me.

I haven't bought a patty press yet. I just got home with 2 lbs. of 80%-20% ground beef. I put on my plastic gloves and hand pressed them all to freeze. Took me awhile. I wanted a press to make it go faster.

Anyways, I've noticed that most all patty presses I've viewed are of a certain fixed diameter. It's as if most hamburger presses are designed to make "standard" sized patties. I was hoping to find a patty press that makes wider diameter thin patties (lol, like...Smashmouth sized). Haven't found one yet. I still have my tortilla press (which I've used to make really thin 1/8 lb. patties), but wanted something faster and a bit thicker than 1/8 lb patties. They probably don't make one like I want, yet.

So, for now, I'll continue to hand press my patties for freezing. Sorry if I got short with my reply.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom