"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Master Chef

Hand milk frother

anyone use one of those battery operated frothers? I like to froth my milk.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

i just shake the jug before i pour it.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
Master Chef

Are you talking about the ones that froth heated milk for cappuccinos and such? I had one but didn't care for it much. Went to an electric one and was much happier. But if you are just talking about cold milk frothed up, then yea just shake it up LOL. Save a pop bottle and use that to froth it up. Pour the milk in the pop bottle, put the cap on and shake away...
Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Are you talking about the ones that froth heated milk for cappuccinos and such? I had one but didn't care for it much. Went to an electric one and was much happier. But if you are just talking about cold milk frothed up, then yea just shake it up LOL. Save a pop bottle and use that to froth it up. Pour the milk in the pop bottle, put the cap on and shake away...
Yes , that's the one. I didn't know there was an electric one. My battery operated one does okay, I get a good froth out of it.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have a Krups Cafe Duomo, which comes with a frother that uses steam.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I have a Krups Cafe Duomo, which comes with a frother that uses steam.
That is more like the one I have, using steam, but it is a stand alone. Still, if all she wants is froth and hers works for her, cool.
But, do you use rechargeable batteries in it? I would think the cost of the batteries would be a little prohibitive over time if you didn't.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Manual Black & Decker

I have a hand-held, manual, Black & Decker. I bought at Tuesday Morning about 10 years back for $2.99 . You pump back & forth and it froths milk nicely. I've never tried warm milk in it but don't see why that wouldn't work. I bet they're still available.

We also have frother attachments on our espresso machines, our automatic injects steam and froths, as well. I'd still rather use the manual, cleans up in the dishwasher.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
That is more like the one I have, using steam, but it is a stand alone. Still, if all she wants is froth and hers works for her, cool.
yes that is all I want, frothing
But, do you use rechargeable batteries in it? I would think the cost of the batteries would be a little prohibitive over time if you didn't.
yes I do use rechargable batteries.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugger View Post
I have a hand-held, manual, Black & Decker. I bought at Tuesday Morning about 10 years back for $2.99 . You pump back & forth and it froths milk nicely. I've never tried warm milk in it but don't see why that wouldn't work. I bet they're still available.

We also have frother attachments on our espresso machines, our automatic injects steam and froths, as well. I'd still rather use the manual, cleans up in the dishwasher.
I have an expresso machine as well with steamer/frothing. I just want coffee with hot frothed milk.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
Cook

Bodum do a couple of really good frothers but I don't think any of them heat the milk, you'd have to heat it on the stove or in the microwave first.