"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Have you seen white knives

i saw an asia/american chef on tv using a knife with a white blade do you know what brand they are or where i can buy them from

kosmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
It was a ceramic knife probably made by Kocera. I'll bet they have a website you can check out.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
that was quick cheers mate
kosmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
Master Chef
From your description ... I'll bet you were watching Ming Tsi ... and the knives were ceramic made by Kyocera.

Like everything else - ceramic blades have a plus and a negative side. For example ... they hold their edge ... but they are very brittle. And, they cost a lot. Want to do something like smash a clove of garlic with the side of your knife? Don't try it with a ceramic knife- they are too brittle!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Master Chef
I have several of them and love them. But you do need to baby them. Like MFTW says no smashing or cutting anything hard.

I found a Kyocera boxed set of with a paring knife and 6 " Santuko for $65 last year which is considerably less than buying the Santuko alone. I bought 2 -- kept one and gave one to my mother. Mom's already has some chips but mine are beautiful and razor sharp.

I have one of the pink ones too, which was a gift.

I am not sure I would ever pay full price for such fragile lovelies, though.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
Executive Chef
I received a ceramic knife for Christmas a few years ago and don't use it very often. I'm always crushing something and have to get out another knife anyway. Also it's not at arms length away like the knives hanging on the magnetic holder.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer
An 8 inch ceramic chefs knife is on my wish list, but I doubt it is something I will ever spend my money on. Now if someone wanted to buy it for me, well that would be a different story
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
i can see the product placement now, in next summer's macbeth in central park, presented by kyocera.

look, ceramic, so light it floats...
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
Master Chef
There is a German Knife maker/seller that offers ceramic alloys that are much less expensive than Kyocera. The company name is Bokker. Do a google search and see what they have to offer in their kitchen knives. They offer lines of ceramic, titanium, the alloy cera-titan, and varoious grades of damascus and stainless steel. But they aren't cheap. I have purchased specialty knives from the company and have been pleased with the quality. I just bought a rescue knife for my eldest son, as he is going to be a fire-fighter/rescue worker. The knife is for cutting seat belts and rope.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
Head Chef
Hello and welcome to DC. The only white knife that I saw at Williams Sonoma had a while handle.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote