Help - fish spatula/tongs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azdave47

Assistant Cook
Hi All, when frying fish fillets in an oil filled skillet I want to turn the fillets over without splashing the oil. Somewhere I have seen a tool that looks like a tong with two pancake spatulas on one end and scissor type grips on the other end. These grasp the fillet from top and bottom, making the turn over process gentle on the fillet and no splashing in the oil. I've searched the internet and came up with very little. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks, dave

I have one similar to this:
GST1116_m.jpg

I bought it at Williams-Sonoma a few years ago. I use it with another regular spatula to turn fish. Since it's so wide, it works great to turn the fish without breaking the fillets.

Try looking in the grilling section of Target, Wal-mart, etc. They sometimes have tongs that have bigger, spatula-like ends.

Try looking around at Bed Bath and Beyond. They have a wall of utensils that beats anywhere I've ever been in both price and selection. The problem with using a grilling utensil is that the handles are extra long and you don't necessarily have full control. Your surface is smaller in a pan and you need control.

I think I've found what you've described. I Googled "fish turning tongs" and clicked on "images" and scrolled until I found what I thought you wanted. Look here and scroll down to the third section where "fish tongs" are shown. I haven't navigated the site to determine how much they cost or how to get them.

Hope this helps.

Wow. Great Responses - Thank you everybody. Gadzooks - close, but the wire tongs are only 2 in wide at the ends. These would probably be the most ideal tool if they were made with the wires about 3-4 inches wide. Got Garlic - this is how most of us turn over fillets but I'm frequently not coordinated enough to pull it off without mishap (using two spatulas). Wyogal - I've been patrolling these places for the last 2 months without success :( . Callisto in NC - BB&B just went there again last night - no luck. Good point about grill utensil dimensions. Katie E - very close, but I really want the wider spatula on both sides where they have just the standard tong feature on one side and the wide spatula on the other. I tried to email them as they are a "custom" maker of tools but the link was inactive.

Everybody thank you so much - I am touched that so many people are so willing to help out.

my spatulats look similar to callisto's. if you flip your fish away from you, you're great to go!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom