"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
Help - fish spatula/tongs

Hi All, when frying fish fillets in an oil filled skillet I want to turn the fillets over without splashing the oil. Somewhere I have seen a tool that looks like a tong with two pancake spatulas on one end and scissor type grips on the other end. These grasp the fillet from top and bottom, making the turn over process gentle on the fillet and no splashing in the oil. I've searched the internet and came up with very little. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks, dave


azdave47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Sous Chef
gadzooks's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 848
Kuhn Rikon Stainless Steel Wire Tongs - Kuhn Rikon - Brands - Sur La Table
not exactly what you described, but my preference for the job you describe.

gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
GotGarlic's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,179
I have one similar to this:

I bought it at Williams-Sonoma a few years ago. I use it with another regular spatula to turn fish. Since it's so wide, it works great to turn the fish without breaking the fillets.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Head Chef
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
Try looking in the grilling section of Target, Wal-mart, etc. They sometimes have tongs that have bigger, spatula-like ends.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Try looking around at Bed Bath and Beyond. They have a wall of utensils that beats anywhere I've ever been in both price and selection. The problem with using a grilling utensil is that the handles are extra long and you don't necessarily have full control. Your surface is smaller in a pan and you need control.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,429
I think I've found what you've described. I Googled "fish turning tongs" and clicked on "images" and scrolled until I found what I thought you wanted. Look here and scroll down to the third section where "fish tongs" are shown. I haven't navigated the site to determine how much they cost or how to get them.

Hope this helps.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
Wow. Great Responses - Thank you everybody. Gadzooks - close, but the wire tongs are only 2 in wide at the ends. These would probably be the most ideal tool if they were made with the wires about 3-4 inches wide. Got Garlic - this is how most of us turn over fillets but I'm frequently not coordinated enough to pull it off without mishap (using two spatulas). Wyogal - I've been patrolling these places for the last 2 months without success :( . Callisto in NC - BB&B just went there again last night - no luck. Good point about grill utensil dimensions. Katie E - very close, but I really want the wider spatula on both sides where they have just the standard tong feature on one side and the wide spatula on the other. I tried to email them as they are a "custom" maker of tools but the link was inactive.

Everybody thank you so much - I am touched that so many people are so willing to help out.
azdave47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
Andy M.'s Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 42,478
I use a spatula shaped like this one https://www.discountcooking.com/shop...productid=4242

I use my fingers on the top of the fish to hold it on the spatula as I turn it over and gently lower it into the pan. The top surface of the fish is not that hot before you turn it.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
This is my go to item.

Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Sous Chef
MostlyWater's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 959
I got my fish tongs at BBB, under $15. I looooove them !!!

MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.