"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Most of us use other methods of chopping in addition to our chefs knife.
Nobody really needs those "gadgets" either. Having fun in the kitchen is the secret.
I'm kinda like Bones... I like my knives so much that using anything else for cutting and chopping just doesn't make sense for me. Not to mention that buying single function specialty tools just fills up my cabinets and drawers to the point that I can't find what I need when I want to use it anyway.

The last two times we've moved, we have given away almost half of what was in the utensil drawers as unused and unneeded. I'm trying to avoid repeating that mistake for the third time. Now I know what few items I need for particular jobs, and I know what I use on a regular basis, so unless a special need comes up, I'm good to go.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I'm kinda like Bones... I like my knives so much that using anything else for cutting and chopping just doesn't make sense for me. Not to mention that buying single function specialty tools just fills up my cabinets and drawers to the point that I can't find what I need when I want to use it anyway.

The last two times we've moved, we have given away almost half of what was in the utensil drawers as unused and unneeded. I'm trying to avoid repeating that mistake for the third time. Now I know what few items I need for particular jobs, and I know what I use on a regular basis, so unless a special need comes up, I'm good to go.
I have two kitchen drawers full of junk. Junk people actually sell and people actually buy! Then, downstairs I have several boxes marked "kitchen". I don't have to look in these boxes to know they most likey should be disposed of as is.
While I do appreciate gifts for the kitchen, I do find myself with gadgets I will never use.

That was my reasoning for my post.
Gadgets.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #33
Senior Cook

I'm the opening poster.

It is true that we buy gadgets on a whim sometimes - "Oh, does that ever look neat, I have to have one!"

It is also true that some of those gadgets end up unused in a drawer. That has been true for me.

It has also been true for me that I end up loving some of my gadgers and I'll keep and use them until they are wrested from my cold dead hands.

Specifically, about the curved salad cutter: It is apparently faster than using even the most beautiful, sharp knife. Everything gets chomped at the same time. I love my salads really fine; others prefer theirs coarser, or, in the case of gourmets, each vegetable has to be chopped to a specific size. However, some of us are not inclined to be so fussy when making our salads.

I respect the viewpoint of those wanting to chop salad ingredients with knives, making each ingredient the proper size.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #34
Master Chef

I agree that most average home cook don't need these gadgets. They may be practical in fast food restaurants.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #35
Sous Chef

I know the tool you mean. I run across them in thrift stores occasionally. Like a cross between an ulu and a pie cutter, big knob on top for a handle.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Maybe I can find one in a thrift store, to take a crack at, instead of buying a new one, to see if I like it. Thanks for mentioning this.