Help me find a tool that I don't know the name of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:
Its a gadget and I asked why one would even need it.
I think most of us have a chefs knife.

And the question "why" was in reference to "chopped salad".

You asked none of those questions.

A little specificity goes a long way, your question was very ambiguous.

Its a gadget and I asked why one would even need it.
I think most of us have a chefs knife.

And the question "why" was in reference to "chopped salad".

Most of us use other methods of chopping in addition to our chefs knife.
Nobody really needs those "gadgets" either. ;) Having fun in the kitchen is the secret. :chef:

Most of us use other methods of chopping in addition to our chefs knife.
Nobody really needs those "gadgets" either. ;) Having fun in the kitchen is the secret. :chef:

I'm kinda like Bones... I like my knives so much that using anything else for cutting and chopping just doesn't make sense for me. Not to mention that buying single function specialty tools just fills up my cabinets and drawers to the point that I can't find what I need when I want to use it anyway.

The last two times we've moved, we have given away almost half of what was in the utensil drawers as unused and unneeded. I'm trying to avoid repeating that mistake for the third time. Now I know what few items I need for particular jobs, and I know what I use on a regular basis, so unless a special need comes up, I'm good to go.

I'm kinda like Bones... I like my knives so much that using anything else for cutting and chopping just doesn't make sense for me. Not to mention that buying single function specialty tools just fills up my cabinets and drawers to the point that I can't find what I need when I want to use it anyway.

The last two times we've moved, we have given away almost half of what was in the utensil drawers as unused and unneeded. I'm trying to avoid repeating that mistake for the third time. Now I know what few items I need for particular jobs, and I know what I use on a regular basis, so unless a special need comes up, I'm good to go.

I have two kitchen drawers full of junk. Junk people actually sell and people actually buy! Then, downstairs I have several boxes marked "kitchen". I don't have to look in these boxes to know they most likey should be disposed of as is.
While I do appreciate gifts for the kitchen, I do find myself with gadgets I will never use.

That was my reasoning for my post.
Gadgets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the opening poster.

It is true that we buy gadgets on a whim sometimes - "Oh, does that ever look neat, I have to have one!"

It is also true that some of those gadgets end up unused in a drawer. That has been true for me.

It has also been true for me that I end up loving some of my gadgers and I'll keep and use them until they are wrested from my cold dead hands.

Specifically, about the curved salad cutter: It is apparently faster than using even the most beautiful, sharp knife. Everything gets chomped at the same time. I love my salads really fine; others prefer theirs coarser, or, in the case of gourmets, each vegetable has to be chopped to a specific size. However, some of us are not inclined to be so fussy when making our salads.

I respect the viewpoint of those wanting to chop salad ingredients with knives, making each ingredient the proper size. :chef:

Last edited:
I know the tool you mean. I run across them in thrift stores occasionally. Like a cross between an ulu and a pie cutter, big knob on top for a handle.

Maybe I can find one in a thrift store, to take a crack at, instead of buying a new one, to see if I like it. Thanks for mentioning this.

Back
Top Bottom