"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
Corey, that's exactly what I used to do. But after I got used to the gravy separator, I can't imagine going back to that old method. It's just so much faster and easier with the GS.

It's the old school tried-&-true method. My mom did it all the time, and that was long before the gravy separator came on the scene.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #22
Head Chef

I have a large plastic one (3 cup or more) with a filter insert in the top to catch any big pieces, but I never pour extremely hot liquid into it (knowing it is plastic). I usually am busy doing other things while it cools down just a little off the stove. I love the large size since it will handle anything I throw at it from the pan.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
I have a large plastic one (3 cup or more) with a filter insert in the top to catch any big pieces, but I never pour extremely hot liquid into it (knowing it is plastic). I usually am busy doing other things while it cools down just a little off the stove. I love the large size since it will handle anything I throw at it from the pan.

I've never done that either.

And whoever has been doing that, they're really asking for trouble. Not only will the container crack. They are also setting themselves up to be severely scalded!!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Well I think that I will always have a time that I will use the separator or a wire sieve with cheese cloth. That is a point when the liquid is brought to the gadget but then there is the opposite where the gadget goes in the liquid. when it is just a little fat on top of a lot of liquid I don't use a separator. The ladle that lifts of fat is made by Amco and is set up like a separator and is callled a skimming ladle. It has the same baffle as the separator but you can dunk it in a pot and skim off as you wish. Mind if you are dealing pan drippings it probably can't remove enough but to lift off from a soup it is a thing of beauty.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Yeah, chefs in restaurants ususally take a plain ladle to skim the fat off of hot broth.

But yeah, I've seen that ladle once at ChefsCatalog.