"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
Cook

Help Please...gravy separator

I decided to buy one..my question is..if you have one and like it..what brand is it or and where did you buy it at?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Gravy separators are like measuring spoons. The brand doesn't really matter that much. Just look for one that is big enough for your needs. I would also recommend that it be plastic, not glass. That way if you drop it then it will not break.

You can find them at any store that carries kitchen tools.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Definitely go for a plastic one. The one I have has a removable mesh lid that strains out solids, which is a nice feature. It's a great tool.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Head Chef

Wow, I have one exactly like Katie described but I was going to recommend that you not get a plastic one. I've always been a little afraid of pouring hot greasy liquid into a plastic container. I'll defer to Katie and GB's judgment however.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I hear what you are saying about plastic and hot greasy liquid Skilletlicker. These gravy separators are made for that very purpose though so they do work quite well.

I actually have a very nice glass one myself, but I am terrified that I am going to break it. The spout is long and thin and I know I one of these days I will bang it on the counter the wrong way or catch it on the edge of the table or something and then hot gravy will be everywhere mixed with glass. It is a very nice looking piece though so I don't want to get rid of it.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Head Chef

Love my gravy separators. I have two. A small one for gravy and a big one for stocks. Both clear plastic. My only frustration is that the hole at the bottom leading to the spout is not as small as I would like. I'm so scared of inadvertently pouring out the surface fat when I'm near the end of my pouring.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:26 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I have two separators small and large both plastic. The holes are a little big sometimes for what I want to separate. Thats when I'll put a layer or two of moistend cheese cloth over the screen and pour slowly.

I'll use a wire sieve lined with cheese cloth nested in a stock pot to separate bulk solids and then the gravey separator to remove the fat from the liquid.

I've seen the glass separators but that long thin neck/spout looks so easy to break that I fear it would snap by accident.

Most stocks I'll let chill and lift of fat solids from the surface of the gel
Old 12-08-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
Head Chef

Mine is plastic and works very well. No melting. If time allows, I have also just chilled the liquid and let the fat rise to the top, skim it off, and reheat to make gravy. I do this when I make stocks, also.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
Head Chef

I recently replaced my old big gravy separator with an almost identical one -- identical in all aspects except for a smaller hole at the bottom. The spout is the same diameter as the old one but the hole leading to it has one critical feature I've been looking for -- an overhanging plastic shield designed to hold back surface fat.

I absolutely love this product! No need to chill the stock. De-fatting is a breeze!
Old 12-09-2007, 01:31 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I have one from Oxo that I love. I typically don't like things that are so limited in application, but a good gravy separator simply can't be beat.