Hot dog buns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
This was mentioned in the different thread:

How about using one of those hot dog machine things where you stick the long bread roll on the metal prong and it creates a hole and toasts it a bit. ...

Speaking of which, has anybody ever seen them for sale. I know in Europe they are used a lot, even the street wendors sell the hot dogs that way. But I haven't seen one here in the States. Not that I was looking for one, but just wondering. Anybody?

One of my absolute favorite ways to eat a hot dog is in freshly baked bread. Just take your favorite bread recipe, make the dough, and for the second rise, wrap some dough completely around the hot dog, let rise, then bake it. This is how I make Pigs-In-A-Blanket. Of course, you can use this technique to encase all kinds of food in bread. I've done the same thing with kielbassa, link breakfast sausage, even a mixture of gorund beef, carrot, potato, and onion. Serve with kethcup and mustard. Yum.

Oh, and if you go back into the mid-70's, there was this gizmo that was sold to quickly heat hot dogs. In consisted of a plastic box, with two rows of four prongs, one row on each side. These were angles slightly upward toward the center, and spaced so that a normal sized hot dog owuld be skewered an inch deep on either end by the prongs. The unit was then plugged in and the hot dog became part of the conduction path for the electical current that ran between the prongs. This current heated the hot dogs in short order, if I remember correctly, about 20 seconds. Of course there was a lid that had to be closed before the device would operate, to keep you from electrocuting yourself.

Think of it, a bun-warming prong thingy, and a hot dog cooking prong thingy. You could start a franchise.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed am a recovering gizmo-aholic but never saw that one. Sounds like a gas.

Nor Charlie, the bread to bun thingy. That might actually be worth a shot.

No, no, no, no more gizmos.

No, the thing Bilby is talking about, is really for bread only. Hot dogs are cooked separately, whatever way you usually do. Roughly speaking it is like a small motor and the sort of, not really, the drill bit is sticking out and it drills a hole in the hot dog bun, then you take you hot dog and stick it in to the hole and then just eat it. I bet it wouldn’t work in America, where are you going to put all the junk that Americans use on their hot dogs.

Charlie I know you guys are talking about two different gizmos.

Down the toasted hole - pump action if they can like with mustard/sauce, and with a knife for everything else. Bacon is an issue though unless you go for the bacon bits and salad is a definite no-no.

Why do I have a craving for a hot dog right now? hmmmm
You know Gossie, it must have been on my mind after mentioning it to Suziquzie, cos when I was at the deli counter this afternoon, I found myself buying saveloys for dinner tonight!! Having just eaten them, I can say I am cured again for an extended duration!!:wacko:

KElf is our resident protector of Charlie. She can't let him get into his gizmo ways. ROFL :)

Back
Top Bottom