"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
Head Chef

I have a ton of spices and most of them I like to leave whole and then dry roast and grind them when I need.

I buy a lot of my whole spices in large packs not little bottles. To store them I place them in the medium size one zip bags and then place them all neatly in a clear plastic airtight container. This way it does not take a lot of space and are readily visible.

I also have a spice carousel that stays in my pantry shelf for easy access. I normally store ground spices in the carousel.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:48 PM   #12
Master Chef

I've just about always bought turntables (Rubbermaid makes good ones, but so do a lot of companies), either one-or-two-storied, then put them in an overhead cupboard near, but not over, the stove. Mine are a mish-mash of sizes of jars. Right now I buy a lot of spices in ziplock bags that my spice merchant (I cannot believe I have one in such a small town!) sells, so save jars of appropriate sizes, wash and reuse them. The turntables make it so I don't have to shuffle through a shelf of spices to get the ones I want. I don't consistently buy spices in one brand, so am unlikely to every have a lovely, matching, fitted, set. If I happen to buy McCormick or Spice Islands or Penzeys, it goes in in their jar. If I buy bulk, I use an old .. yes, McCormick, Spice Islands, artichoke hearts, or mustard jar. It'll never look pretty!! My Hungarian Paprika and English Mustard will always be in their tins.....

The turntables are, to me, the key. I've owned many sets over the many moves, and they make it so easy to find what I want. The spices I almost never use go into the far corners of the cabinet where the circular turntables don't reach.

My vinegars, soy, some oils, hot sauces, etc, also have a turntable of their own in the same or a nearby cabinet.

If you are not good at "mis en place" (sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not), or are inclined to deviate from recipes (a lot!) it is good to be able to spin the turntable and search for just that ingredient your sauce is missing, without having to knock the stuff in front aside. You also don't "lose" a spice at the back quite so easily, and buy more of what you already have, or forget to look for a recipe for that spice you bought and only needed 1/3 tsp of!!

Old 02-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #13
Master Chef

There everywhere there everywere No really I have some on my counter in my vintage Griffith Milkglass Spice Jar/Rack and the rest are in the cabinet to the left of my stove.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #14

I guess most of us are not "Martha Stewart" organized!

Is what you are doing working for you, or do you want to find another method of storage?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:08 PM   #15
Master Chef

are you talking about me choclate? my family/friends would gasp if they heard you say that.........i think they believe I have some signs of obsessive compulsive disorder. Actually its just because my father was sort of a pack rack and I like order. No I'm fine on the storage of my spices. Actually I'm just waiting to find another great set of vintage Griffin Spice jars/rack like my other one and my excess will go into those. In the meantime they'll patiently wait in my cabinet for their use.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #16

Oh no sizzlin! I wasn't talking about you.

I was just talking in general. Maybe I ought to shut up! :(
Old 02-02-2005, 12:27 PM   #17
Master Chef

I just thought it was for me and thought it was funny.........and don't you ever shut up your cooking advice is too valuable to us.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I just thought it was for me and thought it was funny.........and don't you ever shut up your cooking advice is too valuable to us.
8) I like you sizzlinin....
Old 02-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #19
Master Chef

Back atcha
Old 02-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I've just about always bought turntables
Great idea!!! I just got my Penzys order today and when I went to put everything away I found that things just were not fitting right anymore. On my lunch break I ran out and got a double decker turntable. Everything now fits and I can easily find what I need without pulling everything out first. Thanks Claire!