"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #21
Master Chef

There are some advantages to moving every few years of your life, and one is discovering how to make the same stuff fit in several dozen homes! The beautiful spice cabinet that was a great gift in theory, didn't fit in about half my houses. Those turntables fit everywhere, and were practical to boot.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:03 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Since my spices are in jars, ziplocs, tubs, etc I found the best thing to do is devote my top drawer to them. I'm sure once I get a little better organized, I'll find better use of the space, but right now it works fine.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i just stash mine in the hutch in the containers they come in. i guees that's the norm around here lol
Old 02-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Two things are important about the place used for storing herbs & spices - it should be COOL and it should be DARK.

This immediately rules out those fancy turnstile things (too light). Beside the cooker is not good either (too warm) as the herbs & spices will rapidly lose their flavor.

Another thing; for best results, they should not be much older than 3 - 4 months. Anything older than that and you might as well use sawdust.

I am an enthusiastic curry eater and I learned this from Pat Chapman of The Curry Club. Hope it helps?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #25
Master Chef

Heck, I have a cold and am drinking ginger tea made from ground ginger that is easily a couple of years old (I catch a cold every 2-3 years). No, it isn't as good as it might have been a couple years ago, but is still strong enough to have cleared my chest congestion, settled my stomach, and cleared my head. If I threw my spice cabinet out every three months, I couldn't afford to cook. There's ideal and there is reality. If you haven't used something in a long time, then smell and taste it, for heaven's sake. I've bought cinnamon that had no flavor and odor at all because it sat on the shelf too long before I bought it (ditto cumin and oregano). On the other hand, I have spices and herbs that have been in my kitchen for a long time, and been just fine. SMELL AND TASTE them. You'll know if you need to buy more. Turntables are just fine, they simply don't belong on the open counter or above or too near your stove.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

I couldn't agree more Clair! I have had the same experiences as you.

Oh and my spices are on a carousel, but in a cabinet away from light and heat.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:37 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I couldn't agree more Clair! I have had the same experiences as you.

Oh and my spices are on a carousel, but in a cabinet away from light and heat.
Well now, that's a whole lot different than what I envisaged when I read the posts - I had something that sat on the counter top in mind.

I still maintain that freshness is vital in cooking - especially with delicate herbs and spices.

If your herbs or spices are not fresh when you buy them complain VERY LOUDLY when you bring them back!!!!

Did you know that ginger is good for travel sickness? Probably the most palatable way to take it is to chew crystalised ginger - but just about any form is good.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #28
Master Chef

The times my spices were that bad, I was on the road (in other words, in a different time zone by the time I used the spice) or, believe me, I'd have brought them back and complained. Here I'm fortunate to actually have a spice merchant, and have never had a problem with his. Yes, I really did know what you meant with the spice carousel, and agree that many decorative displays of spices are silly, and many, many people use that almost-useless cabinet above the stove (the one your fan exhausts through) for spices, or heaven forbid, wine or booze (ruin the wine, and create a huge fire hazard if you have booze up there). Save that cabinet for equipment or crockery you don't use very often!
Old 02-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
The times my spices were that bad, I was on the road (in other words, in a different time zone by the time I used the spice) or, believe me, I'd have brought them back and complained. Here I'm fortunate to actually have a spice merchant, and have never had a problem with his. Yes, I really did know what you meant with the spice carousel, and agree that many decorative displays of spices are silly, and many, many people use that almost-useless cabinet above the stove (the one your fan exhausts through) for spices, or heaven forbid, wine or booze (ruin the wine, and create a huge fire hazard if you have booze up there). Save that cabinet for equipment or crockery you don't use very often!
Well said Claire. I heartily agree.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:44 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
I have old and new spices. Some of my older ones are in the carousel rack that they came in and also in the cupboard in empty Schwans ice cream tins. My newer set is from Costco and it's a flat rack with about 20 spice jars. They are stored in the corner of the kitchen on the counter next to the other spice rack, so far I've not had a problem with old smelling or tasting herbs or spices (knock on wood). My dream kitchen does not have the hodge-podge stuff on the counter though. :)