"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I just placed an order with Penzy's. For the things I bought that come in bags I also bought some of their glass jars. They were pretty cheap so I figured those would be perfect to keep the bags stuff in instead of keeping them in the bags.
I also just ordered some jars from Penzeys - the bags just wouldn't close well after they got spice particles in the grooves. I keep my spices in the original jars in the cupboard furthest from the stove (other than salt, pepper and a few others that are adjacent to the stove because they get used daily during the cooking process). I have two three tier adjustable shelves so I can see whats in the back. Due to my compulsive nature, the spices are in alphabetical order.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #32
Senior Cook

:oops:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint
They are all crammed higgledy piggledy in one of my cupboards. I have terrible avalanches when I'm trying to find something, and I usually have 2 or 3 jars of the same spice/herb because there are so many of them that I lose track of what I need to buy......one day I will get organised

Paint.
:oops: Me too. I best not have them in glass, so when they fall out it doesn't break anything. I am into them every day that I cook, shuffling and so forth. I have two little lazy susans. It helps but not much. I just have too many.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:13 PM   #33
Senior Cook

LOL, I'm anal about my spices. Alphabetized and on the side of my fridge in magnet containers. The cloves and Tumeric are on top so they don't eat through the plastic lids.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #34
Master Chef

GB,

Penzeys is opening up in Arlington in May! YEAH!!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:19 PM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
GB,

Penzeys is opening up in Arlington in May! YEAH!!
That is so awesome!!! I knew it was going to be somewhere outside of Boston, but I didn't know they chose Arlington. I am so excited now :):):)
Old 03-19-2005, 06:16 PM   #36
Certified Executive Chef

i have mine in those little spice tins and have made labels for each can (cans do not have see=thru lids) so I know what is in each one. The are small, smallest is about 1/4 cup size. I buy my dried herbs bulk so I only get a small amount at a time, and run thru grinder if needed. I have some fresh herbs in my garden but always need dried ones as well. I have always heard the herbs and spices should be in cool dark places to stay fresh longest.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:11 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
Momcooks - what a great way to store them. I am loving the little containers sticking to the side of the fridge, looks like fun containers for my kids to use in their rooms above their desks for little things also. :-)
Old 03-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #38
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint
They are all crammed higgledy piggledy in one of my cupboards. I have terrible avalanches when I'm trying to find something, and I usually have 2 or 3 jars of the same spice/herb because there are so many of them that I lose track of what I need to buy......one day I will get organised :roll:

Paint.
thanks, I thought the spice g-ds were after me and this only was happening to me. I now finally got organized and have those cute little tins that keep out light and I buy the dried spices in bulk so I only get an ounce or so. Now they do not avalanch at me. I used my Print Shop program to print lables with the herb/spice on the front of hte can. Nothing worst than playing sniff and search.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:43 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I guess most of us are not "Martha Stewart" organized!

Is what you are doing working for you, or do you want to find another method of storage?
I have my spices in two cupboards in original containers. It's a mess to find what I want, so yes I need a new method. I would prefer them on a rack, single file, so I can find them easier. I could stand to throw some out too, I've had some of them for a few years, but they never seem to lose potency , so I don't throw them out.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:58 PM   #40
Cook

Currently, my spices are in the original jars in the cabinet next to my stove. But I saw a cool setup on the Good Eats show (any other Alton Brown fans here?) that I'm totally coveting and I'm gonna do that!

He has strips of velcro on the insides of the cabinet doors. Then he put velcro on the bottoms of metal spice tins and sticks them to the door (magnetic strips would probably work too). The names of each are written in sharpie marker on the top (Labels would be just as good, I'm sure). You just grab what you want, and then stick it back when you're done. Plus, you have more room left in your cabinet for other things.

Isn't that cool? So I'm looking for the metal tins now. :)