"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
That's okay. You're forgiven. I can't help but like someone who is named Paul. Our only son-in-law is "Paul" and he's an angel.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #72
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Corey, while spices might not go rancid they will lose potency and flavor. Keeping them in the freezer will help retain some of their potency.

I got a jar of ground allspice which does have ground cloves in it. I bought it either in the late '70s or very early '80s, and guess what? It STILL has potency and you can still smell it! As good as trhe day it was bought.

And it came in a glass jar.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:38 AM   #73
Master Chef

Paul - I REALLY wish I still had my CRC Handbook!

What would really be interesting would be the composition of the plastic container. The most likely reactant is probably going to be a phenol or a benzene. Or, it could be that something in the composition of the plastic acts as a catalist?

If you can find out who makes the plastic container ... perhaps we can track down the composition from the number on the bottom of the container????

Now I'm really curious ...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #74
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Paul - I REALLY wish I still had my CRC Handbook!

What would really be interesting would be the composition of the plastic container. The most likely reactant is probably going to be a phenol or a benzene. Or, it could be that something in the composition of the plastic acts as a catalist?

If you can find out who makes the plastic container ... perhaps we can track down the composition from the number on the bottom of the container????

Now I'm really curious ...
Michael, good idea! My CRC Handbook (1963 edition) does not include clove oil in the table entitled "Constants of Natural Oils, Fats and Waxes". This table includes 73 entries, including almond, castor, coconut, corn, cotton seed, hazelnut, palm, etc. I will continue to research this. Contacting the manufacturer might elucidate the composition of the container (unless they immediately go into a defensive crouch, so common these days!).
Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #75
Senior Cook

My husband built a double decker lazy susan style turntable inside one of my smaller cupboards for me. I used to just store the spices in the containers they came in, but recently a store that sells bulk spices and dried herbs opened in my area, so now I buy them loose. I love being able to buy just what I need. I have been slowly converting to the little glass spice jars sold at Crate & Barrel. I print labels for them on the computer. When it's all done it will look very tidy, but now it's kind of a hodgepodge.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #76
Senior Cook

Smile Spice drawer

I keep my dried spices, herbs, and seasonings in their original bottles in my spice drawer. The bottles are in neat rows with the labels facing up. I have the small bottles in alphabetical order in the first two rows. Then larger bottles also in alphabetical order in the next rows. I have 43 bottles in my spice drawer.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #77
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
I have to update, last time I posted about my spices was March of 2005. We now live someplace entirely different and my spices are in a storage unit back in Washington State. Now that we are in New York, I have not amassed the collection I had before, so the ones that I do have in jars sit like Mr. Max's - in a drawer in the jar, labels up. I could alphabetize them, but there are only about 10 jars and I can still figure out where each thing is. :-) I need more!!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

i just purchased a carousel type. the little holders slide out to be filled. can turn dial to get different amounts of them. will install under the cabinet.i am tired of moving every thing to find one spice. will report how it works.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #79
Senior Cook

I use two of these: www.spicestack.com

Mine are larger as I got them over a year ago. I can fit 17 large or 54 small spice containers. Mine measures 8 x 10-3/4 x 11. They fit perfectly in my cupboard. I don't see that they carry the ones I have only the smaller ones hhmmmm. I love these because they're so easy to see what spices you have.

Barb