How Do You Store Your Spices and Dried Herbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choclatechef

Washing Up
I have a pair of Mr. Dudley spice grinder carousels that sit on my kitchen counter top.

I like these because I can fill them with whole spices and herbs and grind what I need. I like the carousel, cause I can find what I want fast.

How do you store your whole spices and herbs?

Choc, I've never heard of a Mr. Dudley before. Do you know where I can find it?

I have a small (very!) pantry in my kitchen and hubby installed shallow wire basket-type racks from top to bottom on the inside of the door. I keep my herbs and spices in their original jars in the racks. It's nice to not have to be digging through a cupboard to find them.

There is a natural foods store near me that sells bulk spices and herbs. They're pre-ground but I love the fact that I can go in and buy just a bit--even just a scant teaspoon if I want. That way I can be sure to have a fresh stash on hand, rather than one day realizing I've had the same container of bay leaves for 3 years!

I store mine in the containers they come in. They are then put in a cabinet. It is not the ideal location because it is above the microwave (and to the right), but it is the best place I have for them. We use our microwave so infrequently that I am really not all that worried about the extra heat cause by it.

Mine are in the jars they came in in a little cabinet to the left of the stove. I haven't figured out why yet, but it's the coolest cabinet in the kitchen. :?

They are all crammed higgledy piggledy in one of my cupboards. I have terrible avalanches when I'm trying to find something, and I usually have 2 or 3 jars of the same spice/herb because there are so many of them that I lose track of what I need to buy......one day I will get organised :roll:

Paint.

I buy Tradewinds spices and herbs from Smart & Final, and I keep them in their original containers, in an upper cupboard to the right of my stove.

Paint said:
They are all crammed higgledy piggledy in one of my cupboards. I have terrible avalanches when I'm trying to find something, and I usually have 2 or 3 jars of the same spice/herb because there are so many of them that I lose track of what I need to buy......one day I will get organised :roll:

Paint.

Yeah, me too. I have so many (two shelves full) and I am into them every day I cook.

I just placed an order with Penzy's. For the things I bought that come in bags I also bought some of their glass jars. They were pretty cheap so I figured those would be perfect to keep the bags stuff in instead of keeping them in the bags.

I have a ton of spices and most of them I like to leave whole and then dry roast and grind them when I need.

I buy a lot of my whole spices in large packs not little bottles. To store them I place them in the medium size one zip bags and then place them all neatly in a clear plastic airtight container. This way it does not take a lot of space and are readily visible.

I also have a spice carousel that stays in my pantry shelf for easy access. I normally store ground spices in the carousel.

I've just about always bought turntables (Rubbermaid makes good ones, but so do a lot of companies), either one-or-two-storied, then put them in an overhead cupboard near, but not over, the stove. Mine are a mish-mash of sizes of jars. Right now I buy a lot of spices in ziplock bags that my spice merchant (I cannot believe I have one in such a small town!) sells, so save jars of appropriate sizes, wash and reuse them. The turntables make it so I don't have to shuffle through a shelf of spices to get the ones I want. I don't consistently buy spices in one brand, so am unlikely to every have a lovely, matching, fitted, set. If I happen to buy McCormick or Spice Islands or Penzeys, it goes in in their jar. If I buy bulk, I use an old .. yes, McCormick, Spice Islands, artichoke hearts, or mustard jar. It'll never look pretty!! My Hungarian Paprika and English Mustard will always be in their tins.....

The turntables are, to me, the key. I've owned many sets over the many moves, and they make it so easy to find what I want. The spices I almost never use go into the far corners of the cabinet where the circular turntables don't reach.

My vinegars, soy, some oils, hot sauces, etc, also have a turntable of their own in the same or a nearby cabinet.

If you are not good at "mis en place" (sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not), or are inclined to deviate from recipes (a lot!) it is good to be able to spin the turntable and search for just that ingredient your sauce is missing, without having to knock the stuff in front aside. You also don't "lose" a spice at the back quite so easily, and buy more of what you already have, or forget to look for a recipe for that spice you bought and only needed 1/3 tsp of!!

There everywhere there everywere ;) No really I have some on my counter in my vintage Griffith Milkglass Spice Jar/Rack and the rest are in the cabinet to the left of my stove.

I guess most of us are not "Martha Stewart" organized! :shock:

Is what you are doing working for you, or do you want to find another method of storage?

are you talking about me choclate? my family/friends would gasp if they heard you say that.........i think they believe I have some signs of obsessive compulsive disorder. Actually its just because my father was sort of a pack rack and I like order. No I'm fine on the storage of my spices. Actually I'm just waiting to find another great set of vintage Griffin Spice jars/rack like my other one and my excess will go into those. In the meantime they'll patiently wait in my cabinet for their use.

:shock: Oh no sizzlin! I wasn't talking about you.

I was just talking in general. Maybe I ought to shut up! :(

:LOL: I just thought it was for me and thought it was funny.........and don't you ever shut up your cooking advice is too valuable to us.

SizzlininIN said:
:LOL: I just thought it was for me and thought it was funny.........and don't you ever shut up your cooking advice is too valuable to us.

8) I like you sizzlinin....

Claire said:
I've just about always bought turntables

Great idea!!! I just got my Penzys order today and when I went to put everything away I found that things just were not fitting right anymore. On my lunch break I ran out and got a double decker turntable. Everything now fits and I can easily find what I need without pulling everything out first. Thanks Claire!

Back
Top Bottom