"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Ouch, Aunt Bea! You've made me want to replace my television which stopped working last year! BBT was my favourite show.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't think I have ever used a three tined fork. Is it the same width as a four tined fork? Are the tines wider? How about the spacing, is it wider?

Old 04-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

How many tines do you prefer on your fork??

We got a bunch with a set I got years ago from Penney's, along with small and large 4 tined forks. We never use the 3 tined unless the others are all in the dishwasher. I think they're for salads, and the same size as the other regular forks.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #14
Master Chef

My Mom got us a set of "colonial" flatware (3-tine) when she bought us a full set of Pfaltzgraff Folk Art dishware. (Mom was a little excited to learn she was gonna be a grandma) We used those for ages. There must be no problem getting food-to-mouth with them, as I gained 40 pounds during the time I used them.

When Mom died, I got her set of flatware, giving my "good" set from the in-laws to our daughter. As you can see, we have a set each of 3- and 4-tine. I've since started to use the 4-tine, since the handle is a more comfortable fit in my hand. Oddly enough, I've now lost about 15 pounds while using the 4-tine.

Side-by-side, you can compare all aspects of tine width, fork length, etc., seeing as how I lined them up nicely with the checked pattern of the place mat.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We have three tine and four tine here. I also have some hand made 2 tine forks in our Rendezvous kitchen box. Can't recall ever having trouble with any of them, 'course I would recommend caution using the 2 tine forks especially if you are guilty of excessive cheerfulness.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

The three tine fork is a carry over from the Colonial days. We have a Silversmith company about five minutes from where I live. My sister and I went in there one time looking for a matching piece to her set. We saw a very old c.1700 set of sterling silver and I am afraid to put the price here because it will burn a hole in my monitor. But the forks were all three tined. On the counter was a booklet telling about the set. It supposedly was made by Paul Revere. But in this city every piece of silver is said to have been made by him. The only reason I would believe it was the price. It was a complete set for 12 people. I guess they had large families in those days. Surprisingly, it was a very plain pattern that is still around today.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...Side-by-side, you can compare all aspects of tine width, fork length, etc., seeing as how I lined them up nicely with the checked pattern of the place mat.
merde I forgot to post the image of the two forks! (smacks forehead)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-22 17.26.56.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	22790  
Old 04-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

How many tines do you prefer on your fork??

Quote:

Mine look just like that.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I don't think I've ever had to eat off a 3 tined fork but I think it would be a pain in the neck. Doesn't food fall off when you are trying to convey it to your mouth? Especially if you use the American technique rather than the European one.
Functionally I never had a problem with it, but visually it throws me off. Usually I just stare at it and wonder " Why not just add the extra tine? " .

Almost sounds like a bad Seinfeld episode

And to confuse me even more , last night I ate at a restaurant that had square ended soup spoons. It looked like a coal shovel. In the beginning it functioned Ok, but at the end, when trying to get the last drop ( to two) it didn't efficiently scrape the curved bottom of the bowl leaving the last drop on the bowl and not on the spoon, and eventually in my mouth. Being a classy guy in a classy restaurant, picking up the bowl and licking it was out of the question, but the thought did cross my mind . Ok truth is, if I picked up the bowl to lick it in a restaurant, my wife would have divorced me on the spot ( Ive done it before and got the lecture)

larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6935.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	22791  
Old 04-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:

The fork on the right in the picture is nearly identical to our flatware. As I mentioned, we've had the set for 40ish years and haven't had any challenge using the forks. Never really gave any thought to the number of tines on the forks.