"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to darlenemt08
How to Bake with Baking Tubes

Are metal baking tubes worth using?

My aunt gave me a box of metal baking tubes. It's called Fun-Shaped Baking Tubes. There are no instructions with them. She didn't think there ever was and they've never been used. I've seen them in catalogs & on the internet but would never spend the money on them 'cause I wasn't sure if I'd use them. Now they they were given to me, I want to know more about how to use them. I need some instructions.

I bake bread from scratch on occasion. I make yeast & quick breads. Can I put cake mix in them too? Or, can I freeze cookie dough in them and then push the dough out for slice & bake cookies? What do I do with them? If I end up not liking them, I'll give them away.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Over the years I've accumulated some of these baking tubes and have, until recently, been a bit perplexed at how to use them. I searched the Internet with unacceptable success. However, on a regular basis, I receive the catalogue from the King Arthur people. It's called The Baker's Catalogue, Inc. In the copy I received on Saturday there was a recipe for Sandwich Bread Canapes using baking tubes. Yeah! Now I have a trusted group of bakers to help with my dilemma. I'm going to try the recipe this week.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Executive Chef

IMHO they're a dumb idea and item, and threw mine away. They remind me of those "As seen on TV" kind of items.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
IMHO they're a dumb idea and item, and threw mine away. They remind me of those "As seen on TV" kind of items.

Things like this are part of my catch and release program. I am always curious enough to pick these items up at an estate sale or thrift shop and try them once. Then I end up donating them to a charity sale after my curiosity has been satisfied. I look at it as cheap entertainment.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Things like this are part of my catch and release program. I am always curious enough to pick these items up at an estate sale or thrift shop and try them once. Then I end up donating them to a charity sale after my curiosity has been satisfied. I look at it as cheap entertainment.
I love that! Catch and release kitchen gadgets!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I don't bake in them, hardly ever, but they make great cutters depending on the size/style you have.

Tags
baking