How to clean Silpat baking mats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know if the Silpat mats are worth the money? Seems like there are a lot of new brands available now that are less pricey.

Does anyone know if the Silpat mats are worth the money? Seems like there are a lot of new brands available now that are less pricey.

I'm inclined to agree. I've had both, and I can't see any real difference in use. I have two that are just a sheet of silicone without the woven layer, and they work fine. They were a gift, so I don't know where they were purchased, but it's two piece set, one fits a half sheet pan and one fits a quarter sheet pan.

Just as a clarification, my mats are NOT Silpat. They are a Teflon-like material that can be cut to shape/size and I love them.

Thanks Katie! Have you used them in the toaster oven? I see that some manufacturers make baking mats specifically for that purpose.

I'd really like to get a silicone baking mat for my toaster oven tray, but all of them seem too big. My toaster oven tray is 8.75 x 10.25 and the one Silpat makes is 7-7/8” x 10-13/16". Looks like I'm going to have to cut the Silpat one a little or get a bigger tray.

I'd really like to get a silicone baking mat for my toaster oven tray, but all of them seem too big. My toaster oven tray is 8.75 x 10.25 and the one Silpat makes is 7-7/8” x 10-13/16". Looks like I'm going to have to cut the Silpat one a little or get a bigger tray.

Look back at what Katie H. posted. Her mats are made of a Teflon material. And they are cutable. Cutting a Silpat is not advisable. There is material in the middle that will be exposed and could burn. :angel:

Look back at what Katie H. posted. Her mats are made of a Teflon material. And they are cutable. Cutting a Silpat is not advisable. There is material in the middle that will be exposed and could burn. :angel:

I'm a little concerned about using teflon. Will check safety issues on food blogs.

Thanks Katie! Have you used them in the toaster oven? I see that some manufacturers make baking mats specifically for that purpose.

I use them for everything, but I need a bit of clarification about "using in a toaster oven." Do you mean to line the bottom to make clean-up easier for spills there or in pans used in the toaster oven?

I have never used any on the bottom of my toaster oven because it is ultra-easy to clean regardless of what has made its way there. Can't speak to that use of the Teflon sheets.

As for the other purposes I mentioned, I couldn't be happier.

I just looked at the cardboard sleeve that my original liners came in, and where I store all my liners, and it simply says, "DuPont Teflon Bakeware Liners." Further it notes: Easy to Clean and Serve, Reusable 100's of times, Microwaveable, One-Year Guarantee.

There's no manufacturer listed anywhere on the package. They were/are made in the USA and a toll-free number is listed, 1-800-986-2857. I don't know how valid the phone number would be because I noted on the sleeve that I bought the liners in 1996, which would definitely make them 20 years old.

I use them for everything, but I need a bit of clarification about "using in a toaster oven." Do you mean to line the bottom to make clean-up easier for spills there or in pans used in the toaster oven

No, for a small baking sheet that goes in the toaster oven.

Looks like my options are:
1) get a teflon mat and cut it to the size of the baking sheet.
2) get a new baking sheet if I want to use the toaster-oven-size Silpat mat.
3) use parchment paper.

How do you know if parchment paper is toaster oven safe? The brand I have is Wilton.

Also, when I got my Silpat mat many years ago, I did cut it to fit one of my baking sheets and used it that way. Nothing bad seemed to happen. I guess I need to call Silpat and see if it's safe to use. Someone mentioned that it might not be.

Any parchment paper that I've used has worked. It might get a bit brown around the edges, but no flambé! I currently have Reynolds pp, just looked and it says it's oven-safe. I ran out of my huge roll from Costco.

Last edited:
Any parchment paper that I've used has worked. It might get a bit brown around the edges, but no flambé! I currently have Reynolds pp, just looked and it says it's oven-safe. I ran out of my huge roll from Costco.

I've used parchment in a 500° oven when making pizza. Like you said, it gets a nicely browned but otherwise is fine.

I've had a couple of bad experiences with crappy parchment. Not that it burns, but bagels stick to it badly. One time it was a no-name roll I picked up somewhere that I tossed after one use. Another time I ordered precut sheets for my half sheet pans from an internet site and the were exceptionally sticky as well.

Now I buy Wilton parchment. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom