"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I don't have Silpat, but something similar. From time to time I run them through the dishwasher on the top rack. No problem.
Katie, which is the one you have?

Old 01-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

How to clean Silpat baking mats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
My wife thought one of my Silpats could double as a cutting mat. We have beautiful one inch Silpat strips now.

I blame myself though. If left to her own devices, it's unlikely that she would have a knife sharp enough to cut silicone.

Don't take this the wrong way, my wife is a brilliant woman and I love her to pieces, but occasionally she doesn't reason things out before acting. She bought a glass cutting board that I will only let her use as a trivet, much to her chagrin.

Hm. Not sure what you'd do with one inch Silpat strips. Form into rings for Egg McMuffins?

Sewing shops sell "self-healing" mats for quilting. I think they're also silicone. Perhaps your wife thought they were the same thing...

Old 01-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
She bought a glass cutting board that I will only let her use as a trivet, much to her chagrin.
Glass cutting boards are great for working with bread dough.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Glass cutting boards are great for working with bread dough.

Or maybe quilt piece cutting!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have to admit that this post really surprised me. It sounds like you used yours for more than cookies.
I used them for cookies. Better to ask then assume
Old 01-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Katie, which is the one you have?
First, let me say that I've had my mats for nearly 20 years and purchased them at a kitchen goods store. They came in a package of assorted common square/rectangle sizes (8x8, 9x13), several round (9-in, 8-in), a couple cookie sheet sizes and one rather large rectangular one.

Can't remember how much I paid for them, but I don't think they broke the bank. I liked them so much I bought a set for my daughter. She loves them.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find them again, even on the Internet. However, one of Glenn's daughters gave me a set of these one year for Christmas. They seem to be the same thing I already have, but the beauty is that it gave me the option of cutting the sizes I needed for other cookware/bakeware. Great stuff.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
First, let me say that I've had my mats for nearly 20 years and purchased them at a kitchen goods store. They came in a package of assorted common square/rectangle sizes (8x8, 9x13), several round (9-in, 8-in), a couple cookie sheet sizes and one rather large rectangular one.

Can't remember how much I paid for them, but I don't think they broke the bank. I liked them so much I bought a set for my daughter. She loves them.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find them again, even on the Internet. However, one of Glenn's daughters gave me a set of these one year for Christmas. They seem to be the same thing I already have, but the beauty is that it gave me the option of cutting the sizes I needed for other cookware/bakeware. Great stuff.
What brand of baking mat do you have Kate H?

I too purchased the Silpat brand made in France way back when, umm, I think it was like 1990...
anywhos, add me to the list of "top rack of the dishwasher"... I do not care for that sticky-icky-gunky feel, I could SEE where the cookies had sat on the mat even after I cleaned it nicely with a mild detergent and soft sponge, ACK!
Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Thanks Katie. I need to measure my baking sheets and see what size mats I need. I'd like to get a small one for my toaster oven tray. Amazon has this set that I'm considering:

http://www.amazon.com/Silchef-Profes...s=silicone+mat
Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I definitely need a package of them. I am always having to buy the aluminum disposable ones. I hate to spray the bottom as that is where the heating element is.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
What brand of baking mat do you have Kate H?

I too purchased the Silpat brand made in France way back when, umm, I think it was like 1990...
anywhos, add me to the list of "top rack of the dishwasher"... I do not care for that sticky-icky-gunky feel, I could SEE where the cookies had sat on the mat even after I cleaned it nicely with a mild detergent and soft sponge, ACK!
Thatís exactly what happened to me. The Silpat mat was sticky and icky even after cleaning it. I gave mine a good scrub with Bon Ami tonight. I'll see how it feels after it dries.

Tags
baking, how to