I broke more kitchen timers; time to go digital?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I don't know when I got my last set of 3; maybe a year and a half ago? Anyway, I busted them all too, and I'm thinking that it's maybe time to go digital ...

What do you all think? I don't carry an Ipod for cell phone or mp3 player; I'd have to figure out how to work a digital timer .....

I want one that is magnetic. If no one has any recommendations, I guess I'll go over to Bed Bath Beyond with my coupons.

I want one that is magnetic. If no one has any recommendations, I guess I'll go over to Bed Bath Beyond with my coupons.

It's not rocket science so just about any digital timer will do the trick.

If you like, you could get a Polder combination meat thermometer and timer for less than $20.

Polder 362-90 White Thermometer / Cooking Timer w/ Memory

Otherwise, Polder and Taylor make good and inexpensive kitchen electronics.

I use the dollar store timers. Basic to use and they last about 6 months. You could change the battery, but I just toss them. I pick up two or three at a time. I have used dozens in the restaurants over the years. They have a little clip and a magnet on the back. We have them all over the house. They get used for other applications also.

Attachments

• timer.jpg
    timer.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:
After the last discussion on timers, I bought a magnetic digital (cheap) timer. I hate it. It goes off at 5 minutes before to warn you it's only got 5 minutes left, and the beep is so soft, I thought my new watch was beeping.

I liked the one I got online, but the download adds some junk like an extra toolbar, even if you don't want it.

I hope you other members can come up with something better.

Right now, the old dial type is working fine.

I have this one.

My only beef is I seem to go through batteries quicker than I would like. But you can time 3 things on the countdown and still count up as well.

I think I'll buy local, in case I hate it and want to return it.

Excuse me; what? You can time more than one thing on it? Seriously ?

I found my digital timer at Target. It has a magnet on the back, but if you put it on something that moves (like the refrigerator door) it tends to fall off. It also clips onto things, and it can stand on the table. I love the timer itself. It times two things at once (I have seen timers that time three things). I can't remember the brand offhand, but it was on Target's wall of kitchen gadgets. It was just a few dollars and has served me well for a few years so far.

My microwave oven has a timer as well, but I don't trust it because it just gives a few quiet beeps (which I don't always hear) and it doesn't repeat, so if you don't hear it the first time, you are out of luck!

At Christmas last year I was doing my annual prime rib roast, I needed a new timer just to ensure proper temp. I bought a cheapo at the supermarket. Needless to say the :censored: didn't work. I tossed that out in disgust and went to BBB and bought two digitals. One instant read and one set and forget, I haven't looked back since. I do have to say that I use the instant read often, it has a large digital easy to read face and works well for a multitude of foods.

Last edited:
I have this Salter timer and have had it or it's predecessor for years. Many times I've had all 4 timer features in use, especially when preparing holiday meals.

I love it for its versatility. Most of the time it "lives" via its magnet on my range hood. Other times, it's in my pocket or near where I happen to be. I don't remember how many years I've had it and it doesn't "eat" batteries either. I can't remember when I put in a fresh battery last.

I have this one.

My only beef is I seem to go through batteries quicker than I would like. But you can time 3 things on the countdown and still count up as well.

I like it. I sure could have used all 3 lately, but my one question is: Is it LOUD enough?

I found my digital timer at Target. It has a magnet on the back, but if you put it on something that moves (like the refrigerator door) it tends to fall off. It also clips onto things, and it can stand on the table. I love the timer itself. It times two things at once (I have seen timers that time three things). I can't remember the brand offhand, but it was on Target's wall of kitchen gadgets. It was just a few dollars and has served me well for a few years so far.

My microwave oven has a timer as well, but I don't trust it because it just gives a few quiet beeps (which I don't always hear) and it doesn't repeat, so if you don't hear it the first time, you are out of luck!

I've got one of those too, and use it regularly, but I can't always hear it. That cost me a couple of dinners. I hate it when that happens.

I carry my timers from room to room...dial or digital. If I'm going for less than an hour I just use the dial.

I use my wind up timer. It seemed kind of trashy, but when paired with the microwave timer, it goes off within a second or two of the other timer. It's nice and loud. I often bring it into the living room with me, just so I can see how much time is left, but if I leave it in the kitchen, I can still hear it.

I must have a pretty good sense of time, I'm usually walking to the kitchen when it goes off.

I like it. I sure could have used all 3 lately, but my one question is: Is it LOUD enough?

I think it is. I sometimes forget it in the kitchen and I can hear it in the living room.

You can carry it around with you, which I do. It also beeps until you shut it off, and counts up so you know how long it was since it alarmed.

This thread got me to check my thermometer. I am going to BBB next Monday and I am going to be looking at buyiing a new one with a timer. The one on my stove is so soft, you can hardly hear it even if you are standing next to the stove. :)

Back
Top Bottom