"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to allioop108
I hate chopping onions

Ok so I hate chopping onions but love em in my food. Is there any thing I can buy that will chopped the onions for me or make it a less tedious task, you know sort of like a cheese grater or the french fry maker we haven't used in years.

Allen

Old 05-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Senior Cook

You can buy them chopped in CA. Have you checked at Costco or Sams?
Food processor does a great job of chopping too.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

I don't mind chopping onions by hand, but you could look into a number of "mini-choppers" on the market. Some are electric (like the mini-prep Cuisinart); others are manual - you press down on the top & the blades chop. Do a websearch - I'm sure you'll come up with all sorts of alternatives to hand-chopping.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I use what BreezyCooking mentioned, a manual onion chopper (though of course it can be used for other things). It's a great time saver and I find I am lacking the onion tears because of it. It's also less hassle to wash than a food processor, especially if you are only going to use the food processor to chop onions.

You simply skin the onion, chop it into halves or quarters, place the chopper over it and bang it a bunch of times, you can make it as rough or as fine as you want it. Look in kitchenware stores, you are bound to find one.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
I use a few things to chop onions - I would recommend any of them:

1st - the food processor
2nd - something called a "Quick Chef" made by Tupperware. It's a manual thing - there is a sharp blade inside. You turn the crank on the top.
3rd - the chopper attachment on my Braun stick blender
Old 05-27-2006, 01:30 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by allioop108
Ok so I hate chopping onions but love em in my food. Is there any thing I can buy that will chopped the onions for me or make it a less tedious task, you know sort of like a cheese grater or the french fry maker we haven't used in years.

Allen

Sorry, but.........,

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything like that, but haven't you heard of a mandoline or food processor?

It must be the juice being emitted from the onions themselves that burn your eyes and nose. I hate that as well. I've been told that if you let the onions sit in cold water for a few minutes after peeling them, that strong juice isn't so severe then.

You can also get one of those choppers with the handle that you push down repeatedly until the onions are of the texture that you desire.

There's also this newer gadget out where you put the onion on a set of small blades that looks like a French fry cutter and you push a cover down and the onions go into the supplied bowl. Your onions are chopped using just one stroke!
You should look into getting one of those devices.

~Corey123.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Chopping onions

If the onions are cold, chances are you won't even notice the fumes. Try putting an onion in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or so before you chop it.

Kelly
Old 06-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

That doesn't work for me. Still too many fumes. I keep onions in the fridge anyway.

But if you have and use a food processor with either the slicing disk or metal blade, that cuts down drastically on the fumes. And it also gets you out of the kitchen sooner.

~Corey123.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to allioop108
It's not the fumes that bother me but the labor of having to chop them up. I havent tried a food processor as I figure it would liquify the onions like the blender does, even in chop mode. Will look into some of the posted suggestions.

Allen
Old 06-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #10
Head Chef

Allen...we do onions in the processor all the time. Use the blade on the bottom...not one that goes on top. The best way is to use the "pulse" button...that way you have total control on how fine you want them chopped. Good luck!