"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Head Chef

I love my salt pig

All this talk about salts reminded me of the wonderful salt pig I inherited from a friend.

It's right next to my stove, with an easy-access hole so I can stick my hand in for a pinch, and it never clumps or hardens. It's invaluable to me!

Here are a bunch of pictures of salt pigs (among other things) from a Google image search, for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about: salt pigs - Google Image Search

Mine is closer to Nigella Lawson's, on the second page of the search results.

Lee

Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I love the idea of a salt pig, but it would never work for me. I have a thing about bugs and having an open container like that, while fine in the winter, would bug me out (sorry couldn't resist) too much.

I have something similar with a flip lid though that I keep my salt in and I find it invaluable.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Executive Chef

got a salt box with easy slide lid right by the range. also have a salt pig for large crystal sea salt.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
. I have a thing about bugs and having an open container like that, while fine in the winter, would bug me out (sorry couldn't resist) too much.

I have something similar with a flip lid though that I keep my salt in and I find it invaluable.
Could bugs live in salt? Wouldn't it kill 'em? I use one of the Alton Brown kosher salt flip top thingies, yeah, I'm a nerd.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Geez, you guys are high tech I keep mine in a small, lunchbox size, round Tupperware container that I pull out when I'm cooking and put in the spice cupboard when I'm not.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I just use salt right out of its original blue box Why do you guys transfer your salt into another container?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I simply use a big glass shaker that "lives" on a shelf over the stove. Couldn't use a salt pig because our house is not air-conditioned and it's very, very humid here. I also worry about little creepy crawlers.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I have a neat little bowl with lions on the side (DH is a Leo and it was a gift for him since he's a great cook too). I've had it for years and never seen a bug in it. I think one sniff and they would know better than to crawl into a salt bowl.

Linda
Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Head Chef

I live in humid Missouri, and the salt in my salt pig never gets damp. Don't ask me why--I understand it has something to do with the shape.

Shakers clog, but the salt pig does not. I never see a bug in it, but I don't have many bugs in the house anyhow.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oct
I just use salt right out of its original blue box Why do you guys transfer your salt into another container?
I transfer mine to a small container because I don't open the box enough to reach in and grab a pinch. Also, if I get a pinch with wet hands or otherwise get the salt messed up a little, it's not the whole box that gets ruined (so to speak). I can carry my little Tupperware thingy outside and leave it by the grill too, as long as I snap the lid back on. I admit though, I never forget it... not with the peppermill setting right beside it