I need a mixing bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Last night, while coating some chicken wings in sauce, I noticed that my second largest mixing bowl came down with the same affliction as my largest one, the SS had developed a small hole in it :(. OK, for some things, obviously not others.....
So what is "the" mixing bowl to get? Another SS one (hopefully not the whole set), glass, plastic with a lid? Hmmm, maybe glass would be too heavy for tossing wings around in.
It needs to be dishwasher safe and be able to handle coating wings, mixing meatloaf, letting bread dough rest..... all by hand, as I don't have a mixer. I did notice the one time I made crusty bread that I had one heck of a time getting the dough to release from the SS, but that may be due to operator error :ermm:

Anyone have a favorite?

Check out Bigtray.com for a big selection and good prices. I have a Martha Stewart SS bowl but it has some annoying little D-ring handles so it sounds like a tambourine. The DW bought a set from Overstock which are "ok".

I've been using a set of Pyrex bowls I got as a wedding present almost 24 years ago, for all the purposes you mentioned and more :) HTH.

So the glass isn't too heavy then, GG?
I hadn't thought of pyrex...

I'm with GG..... again :)
I love my Pyrex bowls. Not heavy at all... unless you stack all 4 together and put them way up high.....
That was a bad day.

I use big old Pyrex bowls. My Mom collected old kitchen glassware, so I have a ton
to pick from, since it has very little collectible value at the moment.
IMHO, preferable to SS bowls; I just like the heft and feel, I guess.

I like a mix of mixing bowls -- pun intended.

I like the pyrex bowls that match my 30 year old Spring Blossom green corelle dishes. But I also like heavy duty stainless bowls that Vollrath makes for restaurants.

Even better though, I like the stainless steel washbasins that Vollrath makes. I have about 6 of them in different sizes. I can do everything in them I can in a bowl, but I have the advantage of the flat bottom for stability and the rim for easy handling.

I use SS almost exclusively. They are durable, inexpensive and non-reactive. Their only negative (if you can call it that) is they can't be microwaved. I prefer them plain and simple, no rings, rubberized coatings, wide lips on one side, etc.

Glass is also a good choice. I would avoid plastic. It just doesn;t work for some applications.

So the glass isn't too heavy then, GG?
I hadn't thought of pyrex...

No, I guess I've gotten used to the weight over the years. I've never had SS bowls. I only use plastic ones (i.e., Tupperware) when mixing large pasta or potato salads, usually for a BBQ or potluck.

When it comes to mixing bowls, I have all kinds. They include stainless steel, glass and plastic. However, hands down, I use my glass ones the most. A huge favorite is a 2-quart Anchor Hocking glass batter bowl. Looks like an overgrown measuring cup. Has a nice handle and a pouring spout. We call it the "holy mixing bowl" here. I do everything from mixing meatloaf, to making cake batter, cookie dough, mixing potato salad, proofing my N.Y. Times dough, you name it. As a matter of fact, I use it so much I have 3. Many times, especially during the holidays, all 3 are in use at the same time.

Good luck with your quest.

Here's what it looks like:

Attachments

• Anchor Hocking 2-quart bowl.jpg
    Anchor Hocking 2-quart bowl.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 180
Thanks for the suggestions.
I think I'm going to look for a glass bowl (pyrex) and one SS bowl.
I think the glass bowl will be nice for mixing heavy, sticky stuff like dough or meatloaf because of the added weight over the SS. And I'll still have my lighter SS mixing bowl for making a large salad or tossing wings in ...... Notice I didn't say, "tossing the sal...." :angel:

I use big old Pyrex bowls. My Mom collected old kitchen glassware, so I have a ton
to pick from, since it has very little collectible value at the moment.
IMHO, preferable to SS bowls; I just like the heft and feel, I guess.

I love old pyrex bowls... actully bought one on need from a thrift store (had broken only decent size bowl) and found myself collecting something about the old pyerx just feels right dont know what it is but I like them much more than any of the earthenware or stoneware mixing bowls.... and the "cindarella" ones with the built in spout are just brilliant.

note new pyrex is not the same its just regular old glass branded "pyrex" the old stuff is some great space age lab glass

I do not like my Pyrex bowls, as they are getting heavier and heavier. They were just fine when we got them, as a wedding gift, but nowadays I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Go with SS, do you have a restaurant supply store in your area? Check them out. Very reasonable prices and all the sizes you can imagine.

We used to Charlie, right below an appliance store, but the commercial kitchen supply closed down for some reason and they enlarged the appliance area. More markup maybe...

When it comes to mixing bowls, I have all kinds. They include stainless steel, glass and plastic. However, hands down, I use my glass ones the most. A huge favorite is a 2-quart Anchor Hocking glass batter bowl. Looks like an overgrown measuring cup. Has a nice handle and a pouring spout. We call it the "holy mixing bowl" here. I do everything from mixing meatloaf, to making cake batter, cookie dough, mixing potato salad, proofing my N.Y. Times dough, you name it. As a matter of fact, I use it so much I have 3. Many times, especially during the holidays, all 3 are in use at the same time.

Good luck with your quest.

Here's what it looks like:

We have one of these as well. It's very handy and useful for storing stuff as well because of the lid.

I have a big@pyrex bowl that works great for me. I also have a set of SS (3 bowls).

I like diffeerent ones for different things. I have read on this site that the new pyrex is different glass than the old ones. I do not know what that really means.

Here is the reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex

Last edited:
I have both but find myself using the glass alot more often. I have a set from Crate and Barrel but have coveted my mom's set of pyrex since I was little. It seems I use the SS when I need to chill something.

I have a big@pyrex bowl that works great for me. I also have a set of SS (3 bowls).

I like diffeerent ones for different things. I have read on this site that the new pyrex is different glass than the old ones. I do not know what that really means.

Here is the reference Pyrex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

basically the old stuff was less reactive and withstood termperature changes better than regular glass it is still manufactured by owens-corning for labratory glass. Like Corning-Ware the name is just a brand now it is glass.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom