I Still Have It!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imp

Assistant Cook
This is my Mother's original meat grinder, which I recall being used in her kitchen from as far back as I knew what it was; she likely got it in the 1930s or maybe early 1940s.

meat_g10.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I have all the cutters, and the old box she kept it in, actually a shoe-box she had lined inside and out with pretty, colored slick paper. Glued on, there was no Scotch Tape!

Last time I gave it a workout was quite awhile ago; I ground a pound of Calves' Liver for Liver Dumplings. I alone ate them; my wife won't touch the stuff!

Pretty cool. Ain't no vinyl or nylon worm gears in that thing to wear out.

You might want to grind some coarse salt through it to remove any oxidation, then give it a good rinse and drying.

Reactions: imp
I still have my mother's meat grinder too. I helped her grind stuff many times when growing up in the '50s. I most often recall grinding leftover roast beef and potatoes to make hash for a second meal from the same ingredients. This was a common way for us to stretch a very tight budget. We would get as many as 3 meals from an average size roast for our family of 5.

Edit: Aunt Bea: Now that you mention it, I well recall Mom using the grinder for ham salad too. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Last edited:
My father used the exact grinder. We called it a corn grinder.
He used it to make bollitos. (Cuban fritters made from black eyed peas)

He would run the dried black eyed peas whole through it on a very course setting. Just to crack them up a little.
He then soaked them in water and the skins would rise up to the top to be skimmed off with a sieve. The eyes would all be gone by morning. Once the skin is removed, there is no more eye. He stirred them up every so often.

He would then rinse them and grind them very fine, adding hot peppers, garlic and salt and pepper.
Then he would whip them by hand until an airy, semi smooth batter was achieved. I would use my mixer for this part.

By the Teaspoon full, batter was dropped into hot lard and fried until nice and golden brown.
Served it with Hot sauce and plenty cold beer.

I wonder if I could crack dried black eyed peas in my food processor? I would like to make these again.

Last edited:
Gosh! I've had mine for over 50 years and love it. It is ignored most of the year but, when it's potica time, it comes out in the place of honor to grind the walnuts.

Can't get the same consistency from a blender or food processor. There is something about the "mashing" of the nuts through the grinder that makes the filling so much more flavorful.

Mine is still in the original box with all the necessary wheels. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom