"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
Half Baked

I think there are cheaper solutions for the same products other than Dean/Deluca Williams/Sanoma for the exact same product.
I would recommend buying elsewhere.Same goes for Crate and Barrel.Their stuff is good at these retailers but you can do better elsewhere.

I pride myself when I can save a few bucks! More to spend on White truffle Oil and Wine.

Just my 2 cents! (saved)

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
Master Chef

skimping on $$ ain't 4 me! i purchased cheaper items. here's where that got me-

get my jist.......
4 example, i purchased a cheaper can-opener. then got 4 can-openers thereafter, on the cheaper scale; then i got a quality 1~ alas! i could open cans again rather than getting $.85 cans of veggies that were 'bout half an average can-o-veggies, as they owned pop-tops & most ave. ones, they were were 2 be opened via openers! & knives & cookware- similar effect. in retrospect, if getting lower-quality items means buying 4 addt.'l ones, calculate that equation. is there a bargain in that opener that opens foods, or 5 that won't open food~ i took a class on costing in the kitch. i know my stuffs on $$, there~

Old 10-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Master Chef

by the way, get someone 2 let 'ya take a demo wustof & take that on an angle 2 a piece-o-paper; notice the way that knife slices through that as though that were butter. then try that w/ 1 of those cheaper knives.

& truffle oils, the vast majority of them, there ain't truffle in them~ they're another type of (cheapo!) oil/flavoring- quintessentially, a misnomer, & therefore, you're getting duped 4 that $$ you're dropping on those
Old 10-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
Half Baked

I wasn't suggesting on substituting anything.

Williams Sonoma sells a Wusthof Classic 8'' chefs knife for 399.00. It can be found online or at Sur La Table for 149.00 all day long.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #15
Master Chef

scored my wustof classic hollow 5-in. blade 4 $80. & an all-clad pot 4 $14.99~ both from williams/sonoma. & my kitchenaid- that was $360, though $50 of that, they donated 2 the susan g. komen fund & there was a gift certificate w/ that, also, redeemable 4 an attachment/other items, on them~ & other items, too they'll oft be on sale. when 'ya moniter sales frequently & know when 2 make pounce on those, then you'll get the high-quality 4 less than you'd figure. the junky items, i won't use; they compromise the quality of your food. plain & simple~
Old 10-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I think there are cheaper solutions for the same products other than Dean/Deluca Williams/Sanoma for the exact same product.
I would recommend buying elsewhere.Same goes for Crate and Barrel.Their stuff is good at these retailers but you can do better elsewhere.

I pride myself when I can save a few bucks! More to spend on White truffle Oil and Wine.

Just my 2 cents! (saved)
Let me add my 2 cents to yours, 4me. When I can buy the exact same brands of cooking equipment elsewhere, why would I want to pay the price at these places? If they go on sale at these "foo foo" stores for the regular prices elsewhere, you are ahead an upscale fancy shopping bag.
Not my style at all. Ebay is also another great source for upscale cooking equipment, at sometimes fantastic prices. It pays to shop.
Two expensive items where a brand name really counts is a Kitchen Aid mixer, and a Cuisinart food processor.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #17
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I agree, shop around. You don't need to pay full retail price. Shop online and outlet stores and discount stores (TJ Maxx, Marsalls, etc). If you have a Big Lots they sometimes carry Cuisinart stuff ( I know ours does).
Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #18
Master Chef

i got info on those that i ain't giving.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I buy quality when it matters, and cheap if it is something that I know will get very light use or not used often.

For kitchen tools, I really enjoy Zyliss, they seem very well thought out and of good quality, especially their garlic press and can opener.

I don't think that you can go wrong with Kitchenaid and Cuisinart.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
Head Chef

I am willing to pay only what I have to for quality.

That means, I will do my research and find what I believe is the best quality and put it on my wish list. I research prices retail, then I buy my stuff as much as possible second hand for pennies on the dollar. Since I know what I am looking for, I am then armed to recognize the treasure amongst the trash.

I am willing to do the garage sale, thrift shop, church sale, ebay, metal salvage yard [great for hotel pans, commercial Vollrath heavy gauge steel pots & pans, utensils etc.; heavy duty Dexter Russell forks and utensils], used restaurant supply stores, craigslist, or whatever to get what I want for the best price I can.

Did you know that Copco enameled cast iron cookware is even heavier cast iron than Le Creuset? So I have mostly Copco cookware, especially since it is no longer made and cheap to buy at thrift shops, etc.

I will pay more for something special I like -- but I won't pay retail or top dollar! :

2 Chrome KA model G mixers from the 1930's still powerful as day one or a Hobart N-50 5qt mixer ---- What every new KitchenAid dreams of becoming when it grows up!

Vintage cast metal Kitchenaid Mixer attachments -- food grinder, disk slicer, pea sheller, etc.
Robot Coupe food processors - 2 of them including 10 disks & food chute
Vintage 36 by 36" maple butcher block table
Sabatier carbon steel knives & store display case
Marble slab dining table 36 by 54" for pastry
Vintage Crown gas double oven, double broiler, 6 burner range
Vita Mix Blenders
Champion juicer and grain mill
Copco, Descoware, Cousances, and LeCreuset enameled cast iron cookware/bakeware in that order
Vollrath SS stockpots, bowls, colanders, spoons, ladles, dishers, whisks
Lincolnwear Commercial aluminum half sheet pans
Corningwear pie pans, loaf pans, cake pans
Dexter Russell baking spatulas, turners, cleavers, cooking forks
Oxo Good Grips -- many of their items
Thorpe rolling pins

All of these things are to me, "The best of the best" but bought for pennies on the dollar from Ebay to thrift shops to garage sales. I don't care how old an item is, or if it is not in immaculate condition. I care about function.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote