Ice Cream Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkaylady

Senior Cook
Can anyone recommend a good Ice Cream Maker? I see all kinds and don't know which is the best one. I saw one yesterday that has a gel pack that you put in the freezer so you don't have to fool with ice. It was not high priced so I didn't know if it was good or not. Is it better to go with Cuisinart or some name brand?

Can anyone recommend a good Ice Cream Maker? I see all kinds and don't know which is the best one. I saw one yesterday that has a gel pack that you put in the freezer so you don't have to fool with ice. It was not high priced so I didn't know if it was good or not. Is it better to go with Cuisinart or some name brand?

I had a nice one like that, can't remember the brand, but it was a bit high end...got it on a gift certificate I won. It worked fantastically, enough for 4 people and I could make ice cream on the counter, not play with ice, etc.

Unfortunately somebody needed it more than I did and it disappeared from work one night after a pot luck.:(

Mine is a Salton. It was very inexpensive, somewhere in the 30 to 40 dollar range. The freezing unit that has to be put in the freezer to get cold before use is about half the size of the drums used in many models. I love that because it doesn't take up so much space in my freezer. It takes about 20-30 minutes to make soft serve ice cream and then for harder ice cream you have to put the ice cream in the freezer for a few hours. It makes a quart of ice cream at a time. Since I only use it a few times a year I couldn't justify paying for a high end unit. I really enjoy the one I got and have had no trouble with it in several years of use. Oh, the instructions did not mention that the unit needed to be running while the ingredients were poured into it. So the first time I used it, it wouldn't turn because the stuff had frozen enough to keep it from operating. Once I figured out to get it turning before I put in the ingredients it worked great.

I had a nice one like that, can't remember the brand, but it was a bit high end...got it on a gift certificate I won. It worked fantastically, enough for 4 people and I could make ice cream on the counter, not play with ice, etc.

Unfortunately somebody needed it more than I did and it disappeared from work one night after a pot luck.:(
I have a Gaggia, it to disappeared but under better circumstance, my wife has hidden it till I get down to my target weight, all the doors leading to food are locked. I have just dropped her at the airport, she has placed enough food in one fridge to cover whilst she is away and made me swear I will not cheat.:angel:

...all the doors leading to food are locked. I have just dropped her at the airport, she has placed enough food in one fridge to cover whilst she is away and made me swear I will not cheat.:angel:
We're watching you :shock:
.....and you had better get that
guilty look off your face before she returns :LOL:

Attachments

• Guiltylook.jpg
    Guiltylook.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 244

What a bummer! I can't believe someone you work with would do that.

I have a Cuisinart. Here's a link: Amazon.com: Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic 1-1/2-Quart Ice-Cream Maker, White: Kitchen & Dining

You should be able to buy it for around $40-$50.

The one I saw was at Tuesday Morning and cost $20 but would cost more at another store since they discount pretty well there. I wish I could remember the brand, I think Rival or some inexpensive brand in that range. I might go back and get it. For $20 it is worth a try I guess.

The one in your link is giving a price of $105.

Last edited:
The one I saw was at Tuesday Morning and cost $20 but would cost more at another store since they discount pretty well there. I wish I could remember the brand, I think Rival or some inexpensive brand in that range. I might go back and get it. For $20 it is worth a try I guess.

The one in your link is giving a price of $105.

The link was just to show you the product. It's a $50 item.
Cuisinart ICE-21 Ice Cream Maker, Frozen Yogurt & Sorbet - Ice Cream Makers Electrics - Kitchen - Macy's

Amazon.com: Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker: Home & Garden

ICE-21 - Frozen Yogurt

What a bummer! I can't believe someone you work with would do that.

Yeah, nightshift is a pretty tight group, it floored me to find out one of them is a thief. Needless to say, I don't take in my good appliances anymore.

I had a stroke of luck tonight and found a brand new Cuisinart ICE-20 (still in original box with instruction book) at a local thrift store for $18. It is the model just before the ICE-21. I checked the reviews for the ICE-20 on Amazon and they are very good, 4 1/2 stars overall so I think I did good.

I had a stroke of luck tonight and found a brand new Cuisinart ICE-20 (still in original box with instruction book) at a local thrift store for $18. It is the model just before the ICE-21. I checked the reviews for the ICE-20 on Amazon and they are very good, 4 1/2 stars overall so I think I did good.

What a great deal!

The ICE-20 is what I have it is the earlier version of the ICE-21. You won't be disappointed.

What a great deal!

The ICE-20 is what I have it is the earlier version of the ICE-21. You won't be disappointed.

It is so ironic that I started this thread about wanting to get one and then I just stumble upon a brand new one for a fraction of the price. I think I will start threads more often about things I want to get, LOL! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom