"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieshelly
Hi Mish and Bri ~ Here is the recipe for the Italian cookies I mentioned in my post. These cookies are thin and crunchy. I remember my mother stored them in gift boxes lined with paper towels in our linen closet. They stayed crisp for a long time.

Italian Bow-Tie Cookies
4 eggs
4 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 cube) butter, melted
3 teaspoons anise extract (you may use lemon, orange, vanilla, or almond extract in place of anise)
2 teaspoons orange or lemon zest, optional
3 teaspoons water
2 3/4 cups flour
Oil (I use Canola) for frying
Sifted powdered sugar

Beat eggs until very thick and lemon colored. Gradually add sugar and salt and beat until dissolved. Stir in melted butter, extract, zest(if used), and water. Gradually blend in flour until a stiff dough forms (like a pasta dough). Chill for 15-30 minutes. Divide dough into five or six parts. Roll out one piece of dough at a time, by hand or using a pasta maker. Roll dough as thin as possible, until it is almost transparent. Lightly flour work area and with a sharp knife, cut the dough into strips about 1" wide and about 10" long. Tie the strips of dough into loose knots or bows as you would a ribbon. Drop the bow-ties, a few at a time, into deep hot oil (360º) and cook just a few minutes, turning often, until very lightly browned. Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle generously with sifted powdered sugar. This recipe makes about 100 cookies.
Thank you shelly. Sounds like the kind of heirloom recipe you don't come across very often. Appreciate your sharing it with us.

I remember another Italian cookie, growing up in NYC, our neighbors & then my mom made. They were swirled puffy cookies, tasted like anise, with vanilla glaze and sprinkles. Wish I could find the recipe for these Italian delites.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Bri ~ Interesting story about the cake-like biscotti. If I ever run across a recipe like that, I will post it for you.

Mish ~ FYI: If you have a Whole Foods store in your area, you can find spelt and rice flours there. I have a friend who is allergic to wheat. She buys a wheatless flour mixture that contains spelt and rice flours at Whole Foods to make bread, pasta, cookies, etc.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Bri ~ Interesting story about the cake-like biscotti. If I ever run across a recipe like that, I will post it for you.

Mish ~ FYI: If you have a Whole Foods store in your area, you can find spelt and rice flours there. I have a friend who is allergic to wheat. She buys a wheatless flour mixture that contains spelt and rice flours at Whole Foods to make bread, pasta, cookies, etc.
Thanks shelly. In California we have Whole Foods all over the place. Fortunately I'm not allergic to anything ('cept for bad food)... but was curious about spelt.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Bri ~ I just found this recipe for soft biscotti at a site called "Mother Moos" !? I have no idea if it is good or not, but thought you may be interested. Click below.

Address:http://www.mothermoos.com/Soft_biscotti.htm
Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMorin
...I also know that there is a rice called sweet rice sometimes and glutinous rice at other times. It may have enough gluten in it to serve the purpose of making pasta...Ciao
Brian:

There is no gluten in glutenous rice. The name is a misnomer. If you choose to grind that into flour, you would still have to add gluten to make it a workable flour.

Have fun with your new toy!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Thanks auntieshelly

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:

...and it probably has xatham or guar gum, in order to make it so it can rise.

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 04-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Bri ~ I just found this recipe for soft biscotti at a site called "Mother Moos" !? I have no idea if it is good or not, but thought you may be interested. Click below.

Address:http://www.mothermoos.com/Soft_biscotti.htm

Thanks Auntie: Looks very good. The toaste lightly thing was what I wasn't understanding. Now I do, just have to put it into practice.

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Brian:

There is no gluten in glutenous rice. The name is a misnomer. If you choose to grind that into flour, you would still have to add gluten to make it a workable flour.

Have fun with your new toy!

Thanks Andy. I'm having a great time with my toy. I had a bit of trouble with my rice flour recipe however. I started making in around five or five thirty and didn't finish it until... well we were at the table having diner at around 9:20 p.m.

I'm sure it was worth it however as my wife did't say a thing about the hour and kept on uhmmmming and ahaing through the meal. As well she kept on saying, I don't believe we have our own pasta like this!!! Meaning more like a real pasta, opposed to a thinker and maybe less even cut that I would do by hand...

It was a lot of fun...

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Can anyone tell me the proper way one can invite someone to a discussion? I would like to invite urmaniac13 to this discussion because I believe she might be in the best position to help me out?

I bought my Imperia in Montreal, Qc. and the place I boght it only has the single attanchments, other than the one that comes with the device. I am looking for a place, in Canada, or at least North America - although I'm afraid if I imported an accessory through the U.S., that originates in Italy, the duties might be too high? - where they have the double pasta cutting accessories. Can anyone help me on this? One or the other.

Aad Sach Sing