Impressive knife refurbishment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few bucks for the knife. Many more bucks for the sharpening/polishing equipment. The skill to do the work, priceless.

What was the white stuff at the beginning?
I've got inexpensive knives, pretty good stones but nothing like that guy's skill.

:ohmy: WOW. I was mesmerized by that video! That young fella has skillz.
Loved his kitty audience, too...

I meant the white goop that took the rust off so easily.

Didn't watch the video, but I'm guessing naval jelly. It's what they use on ships to get rid of rust and old paint before painting.

Edit: I was wrong, definitely not naval jelly, because that's an acid and you can't use it with bare hands. Clearly some sort of abrasive compound - looks a lot like Soft Scrub, but unless someone can read Japanese, we may never know.

Last edited:
It's amazing what people sometimes consider to be junk. I actually watched a similar video some time ago and used it as inspiration for restoring my dad's carbon steel boning knife he had bought in the 1940s. I don't have anywhere near the cutlery skills this guys does, but I have to say my old man's knife came out looking pretty good and sharpened up nicely.

Impressive knife skills. Refurbishing and sharpening skills, too.

I have never tried it but I have heard that Coca Cola (the original) is also good for getting rid of rust.

Back
Top Bottom