In search of chef's apron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueBear

Senior Cook
I am in search of a chef's apron. I have seen a few that may be worth of value however unsure. I don't know if there is a particular fabric they should be made out of, etc. Hopefully someone can perhaps offer some insight and helpful information on this matter.

I appreciate any and all feedback. :chef:

Sue

Most kitchen stores such as Williams-Sanoma and Sur La Table sell aprons, as well as Linens & Junk or Bed, Bath, and All That Other Stuff. Look for 100% cotton because it releases dirt and grime easier than synthetics, I like white because it can be bleached to remove stains, and my particular preference is straps that are long enough to wrap around and tie in the front.

Most kitchen stores such as Williams-Sanoma and Sur La Table sell aprons, as well as Linens & Junk or Bed, Bath, and All That Other Stuff. Look for 100% cotton because it releases dirt and grime easier than synthetics, I like white because it can be bleached to remove stains, and my particular preference is straps that are long enough to wrap around and tie in the front.

Great points, thanks for the tips Caine. I have seen aprons with strings that tie in front but just assumed the strings were too long. Of course I had no clue there was so many different ones to pick from. :LOL: That just goes to show I don't have much knowledge in this department. I appreciate your info and will make note of what you mentioned above!

SueBear,
If you don't want to spend any money on this, take a class at one of the Home Depot's stores. They will give you one of their aprons, for free. Not fancy, but does the trick.
That is what I use myself.

100% cotton is the coolest in a kitchen, and gets extremely soft after repeated washings...but it's almost impossible to get most stains out. Polyester washes better, but I've never preferred it. It's always stiff and never gets soft.

I went searching around last year for a simple white chef's apron and the only place I found one in the major and chain retailers was Linen & Things. Macy's, Williams Sonoma, etc. all had way overpriced colored aprons. I was surprised how hard it was to find one.

Try a local uniform supply business in your area. Look in the phone book. Or, a local restaurant supply company.

There are websites that sell chefs' uniforms and aprons. Just type chefs' uniforms in the sear bar, and it should get you to some.

I bought some stuff from a company, but I forgot the name of it.

Back
Top Bottom