"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Rparrny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 194
In your kitchen...where's YOUR shine?

Whether we have designed our own kitchen, remodeled or just updated with some paint and accessories, our kitchens usually contain something that makes us say "Yeah, that was MY idea!".
Where's YOUR shine?

Creating a kosher kitchen is a challenge, two ovens, two dishwashers, 2 sets of plates, silverware, pots...space is really an issue so I wanted every inch of my small eat in kitchen to have purpose.

The cabinet over the fridge: I've seen so many but they usually house oversized bowls and unused flower vases that are impossible to reach without a stool. I decided to turn mine into a storage area for platters, rolling pins, cutting boards, muffin tins, pizza peels...because they are on their side it makes them easy to reach and I'm only 5'5" tall. I had this made into two cabiniets, one side for meat the other for dairy but it could easily be one cabinet.
I love this use of space and use it everyday.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cab1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	27461   Click image for larger version

Name:	cab2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	27462  

__________________

__________________
"If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried" - Steven Wright
Rparrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rparrny View Post
Creating a kosher kitchen is a challenge, two ovens, two dishwashers, 2 sets of plates, silverware, pots...
Okay, this has me puzzled. Could you explain it?

CD
__________________

__________________
I'll just flip this omelet, and... I'm having scrambled eggs.
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Okay, this has me puzzled. Could you explain it?

CD
I am not Jewish, nor am I an expert, but basically Jews who 'keep kosher' follow a set of dietary rules laid out in the Talmud, as interpreted from the teachings of the Torah. Since meat and dairy may not mix, they keep totally separate tools and equipment for dishes which contain one or the other. Foods which contain neither are classified as parve, and can be combined with either.

As a student of many religions, but a believer in none, I find it fascinating that so many religious teachings have dietary restrictions. Understanding them brings us all closer to understanding each other.
__________________
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:33 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I am not Jewish, nor am I an expert, but basically Jews who 'keep kosher' follow a set of dietary rules laid out in the Talmud, as interpreted from the teachings of the Torah. Since meat and dairy may not mix, they keep totally separate tools and equipment for dishes which contain one or the other. Foods which contain neither are classified as parve, and can be combined with either.

As a student of many religions, but a believer in none, I find it fascinating that so many religious teachings have dietary restrictions. Understanding them brings us all closer to understanding each other.
What she said is very true. So to simplify it to the point where everyone can understand the restrictions, I will make it even simpler.

I worked for a company that built custom kitchen cabinets. They got a customer who kept a Kosher home.

So the cabinet maker had to make two sets of every cabinet. There were two kitchens. Exactly alike. Two sets of pans, exactly alike. Two sets of dishes, two sets of everything. Including the kitchen appliances. Two dishwashers, two fridges, two stoves. Never the twain shall meet.

This family was so dedicated to their religion, that there was no parve in their life. It was like walking into two separate homes. They even bought two separate groceries for each side of the two kitchens.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Cook
 
CubsGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Nashville
Posts: 59
Are your upper cabinets custom made to be deeper than average? I'm just shy of 5.5 feet and there is no way I could reach the cabinets over my fridge without a step ladder, because the cabinets sit back so far from the front edge of the fridge (at least a foot). I not only have to reach up, but also back.
__________________
In some ways, you know, people that don't exist, are much nicer than people that do. ~Lewis Carroll
CubsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Rparrny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGal View Post
Are your upper cabinets custom made to be deeper than average? I'm just shy of 5.5 feet and there is no way I could reach the cabinets over my fridge without a step ladder, because the cabinets sit back so far from the front edge of the fridge (at least a foot). I not only have to reach up, but also back.
They are deeper. I do still have about 6 inches of the fridge jutting out.
__________________
"If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried" - Steven Wright
Rparrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,494
And that is why I have to tall boys in the family. Of course they constantly chide me every time I need something. I can't even reach the back of my bottom shelves.

But I have a small stool that I just pick up with one hand and if I still can't reach what I want, I get out the stool with two steps. But I still can't reach anything in back of any shelf. And forget about over the fridge. All my top shelves are for storage only.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kitchen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.