Infrared laser thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
I've never owned one of these but been tempted to buy one for 20 years. Do any of you use them and what are your recommendations?
Looking at this one by Exeblue from Amazon. Any suggestions?
xSP3U16.jpg

I think it'd be cool to have but can't imagine a use for it. I know what it does, just can't imagine using it in my home. I guess I'm not as precise as some.

I used mine to find areas in my house that needed better insulation so it paid for itself just with that. I've also used it to find areas on a cast iron griddle that hadn't heated up yet, to take my dog's temperature when she was on antibiotics and to find tubes that were running too hot in a tube amplifier.

I use one to check head temps on high pressure air compressors. I've also used it for setting up and checking heat zones in snake enclosures.

So Far...

Got it yesterday afternoon. My refrigerator isn't cold enough and cast iron pans are too hot.
Expect to learn more with time and experience.

I've never owned one of these but been tempted to buy one for 20 years. Do any of you use them and what are your recommendations?
Looking at this one by Exeblue from Amazon. Any suggestions?
xSP3U16.jpg

1. Do you really need it?
2. Is it better than the thermometer you already use?
3. Will you use it?
4. How often will you use it?
5. Where will you keep it when you aren't using it?
6. Is there anything else more useful that you'd like to spend that $35 on?

Remember William Morris's advice "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

I use mine from time to time. It's a fun little gadget.
I use it to check AC/heater vent temps, wall/attic temps for insulation, and pizza oven temp.

img_1516236_0_b0bb1f00aa93fa2911969bd9fdae0b61.jpg

How much does the temperature differ from the floor to the wall/ceiling?

How much does the temperature differ from the floor to the wall/ceiling?

We have poor insulation (high, open beamed ceilings). For instance, on a hot day with the A/C running my floor would be 70F, walls facing the sun can be 80F, and ceilings facing the sun can go 85F, all the while the cool air coming out of the A/C vents are at 65F.

We have poor insulation (high, open beamed ceilings). For instance, on a hot day with the A/C running my floor would be 70F, walls facing the sun can be 80F, and ceilings facing the sun can go 85F, all the while the cool air coming out of the A/C vents are at 65F.

I meant in the pizza oven.

I meant in the pizza oven.

Oops, sorry... Once up to operating temp dome top will reach well over 1000F, walls at 900F, and floor between 600F & 700F roughly.

After the flames die out overnight and with the oven door shut with only trapped residual heat the oven will remain hot for the next 3 to 4 days. Oven temp will be just under 300F on the third day, perfect for low and slow cooking over the next several hours.

1. Do you really need it?
2. Is it better than the thermometer you already use?
3. Will you use it?
4. How often will you use it?
5. Where will you keep it when you aren't using it?
6. Is there anything else more useful that you'd like to spend that $35 on?

Remember William Morris's advice "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

Sounds like a lesson to an eight-year-old.

Back
Top Bottom