"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Innovative tool usage!

I'm sure there is much more we can do with our tools than what they are made for. Lets share how we use our everyday tools for other purposes or maybe our occasional tools for everyday work.

I use my melon baller to core apples too!

Old 11-01-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You can also use a melon baller to seed cukes and peel ginger.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I use my tongs to squeeze lemons and limes. Just put them in at the opposite end and squeeze down on the tong end to get every last bit of juice out.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
You can also use a melon baller to seed cukes and peel ginger.
I love the idea for cukes! but I'm not sure how I'll peel the ginger But I'll give it a try the next time anyway
Old 11-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I use a teaspoon for peeling ginger just as you would use the melon baller. Give it a shot Shaheen. You will be amazed. Just use the melon baller or spoon to scrape the skin off. It will come right off for you.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

When blanching veggies, I put the veggies into a collander and immerse the veggies, in the collander, into the boiling water. That makes it easy to get them out. Then I plunge the collander into a bowl of ice water to shock the veggies. Then I just lift them out and let them drain.

You just have to find the right pan and bowl that your collander will fit into.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Master Chef

I use my drywall mudding tool to scrape my cutting boards and to lift shopped food from the cutting board to the pans.

I use my Spatzle Noodle maker as a potato ricer, and to squeeze the juice from fresh raspberries to make seedless jams and jellies.

I use my vegie chopper as a meet tenderizer.

And a frying pan with 2-inch sides, be it SS, or cast-iron makes a wonderful pan for reducing sauces and liquids, It works better than a soup pot as it has a wider bottom, hence more surface area for steam to evaporate from. It also heats the liquid faster and at a lower temperature, which helps reduce the possibility of burning a delicate sauce.

I use the gas burners on my stove to roast hot-dogs on a skewer, or marshmallows for s'mores if the weather is too bad outside.

I use the spine of my chef's knife in a pinch to pound meat. But the malleet definitely works better.

My claw-hammer and a freezer bag work great for turning graham crackers into crumbs.

My veggie peeler makes a phenominal tool for shaving carrots into a soup. It's also the ideal tool for removing the outside mold from otherwise good cheese.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Head Chef

I put one of those splash screens you put over a frying pan to prevent fat splatter over a pan with a bit of water, let it start to steam and toss a tortilla on the screen to soften it up. Within seconds you have a warm soft tortilla.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

That is a great idea auntdot!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
Master Chef

My egg poaching pan, with the removable cups, is great for steaming puddings, or melting single servings of hot fudge, but only for four people at a time. It also makes good, individual custards.

Oh, it's grat for poaching eggs too.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote